flip flop logic

just for clarification for our newer members, the "Ron" being referred to above is Ron Doran – a much-respected forum member who passed away a few years ago ...

(thanks Phil, nice touch)

I'll second that ...

Whenever I see the "flip-flop" discussed on here, I look out for a complete specification of what actually is required.

In particular, the majority of these "solutions" do indeed work as flip-flops under normal circumstances, but rarely is it mentioned what should happen if the processor goes through a power-cycle.

I can only speak for A-B processors, I don't know how others behave, but many of the so-called "solutions" posted will not retain the state through a power-cycle, or indeed a mode change Run-Program-Run.

IMHO a proper "flip-flop" should always retain its state, and in applications that require it to reset, that should be a programmed action on start-up.

For A-B I personally prefer the Counter solution, which is retentive, and provide a separate RES of it if required using the "First-Scan" status.