Flip Flop

Greetings dronai ...

quick question: do you just want to "see" a flip/flop in action? - or do you want to really "understand" what's going on under the hood? ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=427567&postcount=1

warning! ... this lesson uses 346 lines of text to describe (in gruesome detail) the operation of one "simple" rung ...

party on ...

Yes I would like to see a Flip Flop in action. Is that shown in your link ? I'm reading through this now.

the link I posted has two attachments ... I recommend that you print out the (JPG) picture of the rung – and then refer to that as you read step-by-step through the (PDF) description attachment ...

the main thrust of the lesson is to understand how the PLC processor interprets – and controls – its Inputs and Outputs scan by scan by scan by scan ...

many students have a problem "thinking through" the scan sequence – and they try to force the processor's action to fit into their own preconceived idea of how it SHOULD work ...

big picture idea: it's based on LOGIC – it's NOT electricity ...

you personally might have no problem with that critical concept ... I can assure you that other people (some with years of experience) have serious misconceptions about what's going on inside the processor ...

the link I posted has two attachments ... I recommend that you print out the (JPG) picture of the rung – and then refer to that as you read step-by-step through the (PDF) description attachment ...

the main thrust of the lesson is to understand how the PLC processor interprets – and controls – its Inputs and Outputs scan by scan by scan by scan ...

many students have a problem "thinking through" the scan sequence – and they try to force the processor's action to fit into their own preconceived idea of how it SHOULD work ...

big picture idea: it's based on LOGIC – it's NOT electricity ...

you personally might have no problem with that critical concept ... I can assure you that other people (some with years of experience) have serious misconceptions about what's going on inside the processor ...

I very carefully watched, and listened, to how you explained the scan sequence of the PLC in your Youtube series. Left to right, Top to bottom, to the end rung. The Input Bit box "Is there a 1, or 0 in the bit box, if their is a 1, then the statement is true, and a 1 goes into the bit box etc,

Really well done explainations, and typical misconceptions, with electricians thinking process reguarding relays, switching, and outputs. What I did learn through my few PLC projects, is that there is more than one way to do a process. Some more efficient than others. Again Much thx.

Yes, I bought the trainer, with 4- I/O
My Alternator program probably won't run then, if you do not have the full 16 In and 16 Out. You could modify it to only use the I/O that you do have (probably by deleting about the last 7 rungs).

You mentioned simulating 3-way light switches. Here is a Micrologix program that does it with only two inputs and 1 output.

Last edited:
My Alternator program probably won't run then, if you do not have the full 16 In and 16 Out. You could modify it to only use the I/O that you do have (probably by deleting about the last 7 rungs).

Lancie, I just started programming your method #1 and I read this post. I will try what you recommended.

What is the actual model number of the Micrologix1000 (1761-Lxxxx) that is installed in the Trainer? That will tell me how many Inputs it really has. If you only have two inputs and 2 outputs, then just use the first two rungs (2 alternator methods) and delete all the rest. I think even the smallest Micrologix1000 has 6 Inputs and 4 Outputs.

Many of the pre-wired Trainer modules do not have all the PLC inputs and outputs connected. To use the unconnected Inputs, you would have to add your own switches and wiring.

Another good training program is the old stand-by, the Traffic Light. It needs 6 outputs, but no Inputs (controlled by a Timer or Sequencer)!

Last edited:
Thanks, Mark.

What I was getting at, that since Dronai has electrical wiring expericence, he might want to use the two unused extra Inputs on the Micrologix1000 model 1761-L10B.

Micrologix Model Numbers.jpg

You mentioned simulating 3-way light switches. Here is a Micrologix program that does it with only two inputs and 1 output.

Thanks for the 3-Way info.

Thanks, Mark.

What I was getting at, that since Dronai has electrical wiring expericence, he might want to use the two unused extra Inputs on the Micrologix1000 model 1761-L10B.

I saw the 2 unused I/O's on my trainer. I could wire those up to field switches and pilot lts.

Hi Lance, he bought this one http://cgi.ebay.com/250401843406 :)

4 in and 4 out (1761-L10BXB)

Hello dronai,
Hope you like the trainer.... see below for the one I like to use

I know a lot of people don't link to use counters but IF you don't mind see below

Hi Geniusintraining, What are you illustrating with the counter diagram ? I was just trying to make 2 pumps alternate. Here is a counter training program I already did.

Counter Up Project.png