Flow measurement for chocolate pipes

strikom

Hi guys,
I have written to kindly seek some advice regarding flow measurement of a viscous fluid (chocolate) in a line. I know for a fact that invasive flow meters cannot be used owing to the viscous nature of the fluid. The only two sensors that came to my mind were either ultrasonic or mag-flow, of which the latter is not applicable to my project since the conductivity of chocolate is very low. Can someone please advise me about a low cost flow measuring sensor/meter that I can use on the transfer system pipes. Or any other mechanism that I can use to measure the flow of chocolate on two ends of a transfer system pipe.

Kind regards

I second that coriolis flowmeters will work with chocolate. If I remember well the once we used were from Emerson-micromotion but I think Siemens also has them. However the are not a low cost solution.

Have you given any thought to "Clamp On" style of Ultra Sonic Meter? The accuracy will not be in the ball park as a Coriolis but it will be much cheaper!!

This thread makes my vacation photo a bit less humorous.

During a recent trip to California, I took a picture of the ceiling in an Italian restaurant known for its chocolate drinks.

Chocolate.jpg

A simple vane meter is most reliable,or if possible the rotations of the pump. Non invasive is mentioned above, but the speeds are very low, so dont expect good accuracy.
The simplest is by weight.
Every twix bar is weighed if it has enough chocolate, as the left one is doped and the right one is dipped (hihi)

... or mag-flow

Wafer-Mags will need conductivity in their media (the chocolate), so check first.

Thermal is nice because it's relatively inexpensive, and there is absolutely nothing in the meter for the chocolate to get stuck on (in our application, it's paint, and the paint will create goobers (aka, "dirt") that will cause problems down the line.

And with a thermal, there is nothing in there to come loose and end up in someone's candy bar.

Anything other than a Coriolis or a Wafer-Mag will need the proper attention paid to lead-in and lead-out of the pipes going to the meter.

And no need to thank me, just send me samples... :)