Flow Transmitter for dirty soybean oil

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone !

Im looking for a flowmeter to measure dirty soybean oil.

Working temperature is around 80°C, pressure around 1,5bar , and diameter of pipe 1,5inch

The liquid being measured might me dirty and have some sediments.

I was planning on putting a mass flow meter or a oval gear flow meter.

Mass flow meter I believe would be the best but is really expensive and 99% out of budget. Unless I get some second hand used one.

Could you give your opinions for which would be the best, and also if anyone know where to buy used flow meter ?

Thanks!!

We use Micro Motion Coriolis flow meters for many things including fresh and used vegetable oil. They are not cheap but they have been excellent. Some have been in use over twenty years.

The only problem I recall is one that lost accuracy after being over pressurized several times from a positive displacement pump transferring slurry to a dead end. That was not the fault of the meter.

We use Micro Motion Coriolis flow meters for many things including fresh and used vegetable oil. They are not cheap but they have been excellent. Some have been in use over twenty years.

The only problem I recall is one that lost accuracy after being over pressurized several times from a positive displacement pump transferring slurry to a dead end. That was not the fault of the meter.

Hello, what brand did you use ? In my application doesnt have to be súper accurate. What is the cheapest un market?

I second the use of Micro Motion Coriolis meters. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. If your application requires very precise measurement of flow, then I highly recommend them. They have versions which can also send temperature of the liquid and if you use a communication scheme (Modbus or E/IP, for instance) you can get density and totalizer functions as well. We use them for precise blending of liquid ingredients. The Keyence clamp-on flow meter may work for your application, at a lower price. They clamp right onto the pipe and use ultrasonic technology. If I remember correctly, you can get a 4-20mA or 0-10V output on them. They have a max temp reading of 85C, which will be fine if the temperature you specified is accurate.

I also recommend the Micro Motion Coriolis flow meter. Great product. We use the F050 with a 2700 transmitter. That will set you back about $10k for a 1/2" line. If you don't need the accuracy, look to the Keyence clamp on flow meter FD-R series.

If the dirt is a collection of suspended solids in the flow stream then a clamp-on ultrasonic flowmeter is likely NOT to work.

Clamp-on ultrasonics are usually 'transit time' technology that works best with pure liquid; minimal gas bubbles or entrained solids in the flow stream. The greater the concentration of any non-liquid stuff, the lower the signal strength because the 'stuff' disperses and reflects the signal everywhere except the path to the transducer.

Doppler technology requires gas bubbles or entrained solids, but I doubt the inexpensive clamp-ons are doppler technology.

I worked at ADM a lifetime ago... good times.. or not.

What's the purpose of the meter?

If mass meter are out of your budget. You can always use a DP or inline ultrasonic and those may be good enough for what you need to do. A lot of time, I would just call up your local instrumentation vendor and ask for recommendation as well.

Is soybean oil conductive? Would a mag meter work?

I've used the ProSense magnetic flow meter from Automation Direct, and it worked perfectly, and comes in a 1-1/2" female NPT configuration:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/process_control_-a-_measurement/flow_sensors/magnetic-inductive_flow_meters/fmm150-1002

Note for anyone who wants to use this, you do need a female 4-pole M12 cable to connect to it, they are shown if you scroll past the meter under Recommended Items.

EDIT: Not necessarily saying this will work for soybean oil, but if a mag meter will work, it could be an option.

Last edited: