Flying Shear Accuracy Issue

Thanks Michael. I'm working through reworking the code now - I can see it's going to be a long night! we have a day on site tomorrow to run trials / testing so will give feedback through the day / over weekend.

Will also look at testing master with cut lengths and correcting the error.

I can’t thank you enough for your input! :)

Thanks Bill (widelto). I can see what you’re doing.
I'd question the way the event task is instigated though, as the tasks are called from somewhere in continuous task so are influenced by scan time maybe up to 2-3mS? Obviously not an issue for you as you are at 90m/min with +/- 1mm.

I wondering if there is a better / continuously monitored way to initiate motion tasks. There are lots of options predominantly associated with motion control features (see attached screen dump)

Basic help states: For more detailed information on planning specific types of event tasks, see Identifying and Managing Tasks, or refer to Chapter 2 in your Logix Controllers Common Procedures Manual (publication 1756-PM001).

So more reading.

Thanks again Bill.

69FIREBIRD:

Sorry for my late answer, my events are triggered (event instruction only).
My approach is like this:
First of all, the dieset must start always from the same place.
In my case I always cut at the same place.
I use MAW(1) to watch where to start the dieset, for instance, If my pipe is 6 meter long and my cut is at 600 mm from home, I must start my dieset at 5400 mm this distance is measure thru the MAW.
When the dieset is started, I use a MAG to sync dieset with pipe, you can use profiles or use fixed accel, when dieset is moving use another MAW(2) to get distance where cut is going to take place.
When you get distance to cut on the dieset then I set my first event task, make the cut and them set next event task to go to home, disarm MAW(1), then move dieset back as fast as possible using a MAM, use a profile to stop always at the same time.
The everything starts once again.

So what is the real allowable travel distance

I have stayed out of because I don't have real numbers or don't know which ones to use. I don't have RS5000 installed on my computer right now.
originally I was told 450m. This provides no wiggle room. If the distance were double that then I can get the accelerations and speeds down. With a travel distance of 843mm I can get the speed down to 1.01 m/s and the peak accel down to 2.723 m/s which is just above a quarter g. This should be easy.

Edit,
With an allowable stroke of 1000 mm where 10 to 907mm is used I can get the return speed down to 0.915 m/s and the peak acceleration down to 2.152 m/s. This assumes that the cut length is > 2500 mm. Now this thread has got geek in me interested. I am going to solve this problem symbolically kind of like you did with your spread sheet but using calculus. If I have 1000 mm I should adjust my motion profile to use from 10 to 990 mm to get the speed and acceleration even lower and I am not doing that.....yet.

Last edited:
Hi, well we are making great progress. I have laid out the program into one "master" continuous scan and documented up some of the undocumented / poorly documented code so I know what’s happening.
I am yet to separate out the critical "motion tasks" but I can report that I maxed out the programmable encoder PPR to 8192 counts for the line position and speed. I got rid of the bull**** "scaling" and "machine offset" in the code and calculated the cut length counts as (actual requested cut length + blade width) / conversion constant to get the position unwind and this made a HUGE difference. We got reasonably consistent lengths. I then "tuned" the conversion constant by getting the average percentage of error of our test batch and calculating that percentage of the conversion constant and (in our case) adding it to the conversion constant until we could run a batches of 500mm, 1000mm and 2000mm and get those exact lengths +/- 0.5mm (I have advised the customer +/- 1mm - their accepted tolerance to give myself some breathing room) I have also gone back to the customer and advised that although I have the required accuracy, if they can afford to I would like to finish the job buy getting the motion event tasks configured properly and tidy up outstanding program documentation – we’ll see what they come back with.

Many Many Thanks again to all those who contributed their time to this thread.