Flying Shear with Aux encoder

jonfarrugia

I'm working on a flying shear application consisting of two kinetix 350 drives. I need to find a way to connect the encoder connected to the coneyor back into the PLC so that I can use it as the master to sync the flying shear to.

Any ideas? I know the best way would be to use the aux feedback channel on a kinetix 6500 system but because we only had two servos on this machine, the 6500 didnt make sense cost wise. Now i'm scratching my head trying to find a way to connect the encoder to the system.

The PLC is an 1769-L33ERM

There is no encoder on the conveyor...I need to put one on but the question is, How do I go about getting the encoder connected to the PLC so that I can use the data as a master for the flying shear.
Normally I would connect this encoder to the aux feedback on a servo drive and it would show up as an additional drive, then i'd use it as the master for the other drives. However, I dont have an aux feedback channel with the kinetix 350 drives. Not sure the best way to connect it now.

Last edited:
ok...I thought of using a high speed counter, but...how do I turn that into a virtual axis so that I can use the signal as a master?