Foot in the door?

the big difference between a man and a woman in this profession is the way of thinking.
a man can make everything with ease and gives solutions at the spot.
example:
if you complain you have a headache to a man, he will tell you to take an aspirin, even he will stand up and take one and give it to you. end of talk begin of coffee.
if you complain you have a headache to a woman she will sit down and asks if you have coffee.and i conversation will follow.

or,
be more assertive to men. I know a lot of companies that do like women in these positions as you are better overviewer and far better in safety.

I was going to mention the generalized difference between how the
genders solve problems, but, thought it better for a new thread.
As it happens, I have had the opportunity to work side-by-side
with female engineers and programmers. The previous post is correct:
women tend to want to discuss things before simply rushing head long
into an 'obvious' solution. Men are more of the 'stand back while
I fix this thing' types.
In the automation software business, at least in my experience,
you need both skills. For systems engineering, a through examination
of all specifications and understanding of end user needs is crucial.
For start up, where, lets face it, it separates the men from the boys,
on-your-feet thinking and quick-decision engineering are the order
of the day.

Maybe someone SHOULD start a new thread....

I think everyone has given you lots of advise. It will be up to you to decide which is right for you. As for my advise, I started in the Air Force as an electronic Tech. I recieved my initial training, Tech school there. The Armed Forces are crying for people with degrees. Have you researched there? Remember if a door isn't open try a window. With enough determination you will go far, It is all up to you, And don't take gender as an excuse from others. Some of the best techs and Engineers in the Armed Forces are Women. Good Luck!

Re: The elephant at the dance...

jdbrandt said:
Why is everyone ignoring the oh-so obvious.

(As for Pennsylvania, where PLCGirl currently IS, this state (mine) is really business-ugly, with over 1200 manufacturing COMPANIES leaving the state in the last three years.)

JD
I disagree in my neck of PA the companies are moving in at a good rate. this is mainly do to KOZ.

Thank You

Thank you everyone for your input. It really gives me a lot to think about. Going from technician on up is great, but whats the point of a four year degree (although my major isn't exactly engineering) - although I do love getting in there and getting dirty. Another suggestion was the armed forces, I respect anyone who can do that (its what my parents did) but I know its not me. The issue on being a female has plagued me since HS and I was hoping that after I recieved the paper it would end but you guys warned me and made sure I don't go in blindsided, thanks. Although, I hope my gender doesn't become an issue, I do hope to pave the way for future generations. You guys are right, women have a tendency to analyze and pre-plan as for guys just go to it. I've noticed that in my classes. Thank you all for your advice, its nice to see that I'm still getting postings after several days. On the humility thing --- I'm Jacquie and I'm awesome. (I'm just being funny, truly, I'm shy and have very little self confidence except when it comes to skills required in my major)
Have a great New Years everyone -- and thanks again ..
Jac

(although my major isn't exactly engineering)

Just wondering then, what is your major? Usually engineering positions require an engineering degree or coming up through the ranks as has been suggested here.

I go to Millersville University and we don't have engineering we have industrial technology -- Even so, I'm a technology Education major. So, I've been educated in all realms of technology (ex:communications, manufacturing, drafting, electronics, and power) The my upper levels including my R&D has been in electronics and control systems, and I have done independent research on PLCs. My love is truly robotics. Since, I'm graduating with the "wrong" degree (I'm too far in to change) I'm going to go to grad school .. but still need real world experience. Thats my education in short.

Jacquie,

here’s one more approach that no one has mentioned yet … first of all, does your college have an on-going relationship with any local industries?

where I came from, the college organized several “advisory committees” made up of local industry engineers and managers ... these committees met four or five times a year for the purpose of keeping the college “on track” by recommending additions and improvements to the curriculum … unfortunately many of these recommendations were never acted upon … usually because the faculty members were stretched too thin to devote the time and effort required to develop the necessary course material …

just one quick specific project example: “some of our plant technicians only work with the PLC systems on a very infrequent basis … and so occasionally they have a hard time going online with the PLC processors for troubleshooting purposes … we really need a detailed, systematic approach to setting up the communications for each of the brands and types of processors our plant uses” …

so assuming that there is an active advisory committee available … and assuming that there are some viable ideas for some worthwhile projects lying around on the back burner … and assuming that a hard-working highly-motivated individual just happened to step up and tackle one of these projects … and suppose that the final result clearly demonstrated this individual’s ability to “get the job done” … and to work well with the local engineers involved … and also indicated the presence of a meticulous attention to detail … etc., … etc., …

do you think that this just might help said individual “get a foot in the door” with the local industry involved?

and yes, I’ll admit that there are quite a lot of assumptions here … but then again, grand opportunities are often reserved for those who dare to mine gold in the same soil where others only grub for potatoes …

finally, the fact that you’re a female should make little or no difference to your eventual success IF (big if) you’re able to demonstrate your abilities to the right type of prospective employer … simply put, the type of people with the ability to “get the job done” are usually quite good at recognizing the same attributes in others with whom they come into contact … your biggest hurdle is likely to be in “arranging” a situation in which you’ll be able to demonstrate that you actually do have the “right stuff” … unfortunately most job-hunting experiences will force you to jump through some preliminary hoops in the “human resources” department before you ever get a chance to finally talk to the “decision maker” who is your preferred audience …

maybe … just maybe … the approach I outlined above will prove useful in bypassing some of the usual “job applicant” hurdles … particularly the inevitable requirement for previous experience … and yes, I have seen it work before … more than once …

finally, if you do decide to try this route, be sure to keep in mind that a meticulous attention to details WILL have a serious impact on your eventual success … simply put, when you’re trying to make a good impression, neatness and completeness DO count …

good luck …

I was once in your position, and here is how I did it.

I picked up the yellow pages (or is it the pink pages in your part of the world? Buisiness phone book anyway) and made a list of every company that I thought did work that I wanted to do.
My plan was to ring 5 per day, find out who was the senior electrical engineer, talk to them, explain what I could do, and ask if they would need anyone like me.
I let them know that I was just out of uni, had no experience but was willing to learn.
I was polite.
I also asked for advice on how to go about this from them.
Most were willing to help with advice, even if they had no jobs.
On my fourth try, I spoke to the owner of a small company who had a couple of big jobs on. He was hiring anyone he could lay his hands on. I ended up with three months work and a good reference. Also, the people that I met there are now working else where, and still put in a good word about me. Since then, I found no problem getting work.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Dear newby,

BEFORE any gender specific comments, YOU must hunderstand the level your at.

You are at the bottom of the ladder. Your first step will be only one of many and YOU must take it yourself.

HOW TO GET A JOB.

-Its a proven thing that most good jobs are bagged through a network of people and relations , not the newspaper.

-The prospect employer must first read your Resumé then select you. Having a female name in such a macho packed environment, your Resumé will be looked at.

-They don't teach you in school how to make a good Resumé and a good job interview. Get these skills .

-You have a sense of humor , so you are smart .

-There is absolutly no low level tech jobs in automation . For the first 3 months anyway . So if you can get a job to install automated garage door opener then do this for 3 months.

-The nice diploma you've got only tells the world that you are smart enough to learn . Your inexperience could be a bonus for a futur employer. Maybee he likes paying low salary to very smart people with no experience. Get that job and when you have learn enough you can get a better one. The most important thing is to get ON the ladder .

-Most and I mean almost ALL of the engineers getting out of school are going in sales . This is a place where you would have a real edge over the boys.

-Where do you want to be in 10 years ? Have you asked yourself this ?

-There is such a shortage of techys all around the US that there is no reason you cannot find a job. Are you MOBILE ?

================================================

Don't be humble, you are not that great.
--Golda Meir

Pierre

"Don't be humble, you are not that great.
--Golda Meir"

Nice quote,Pierre where you get it from?.

Jacquie

Take this example of that woman Golda Meir she was Israeli PM and I think she was the first or the second woman who become PM in the world.She was tough more then lot of mans.
Pierre maybe sound like the bad guy.He is realistic. We are living in tough world,
Get reday.for the real life.

PERFECT GOODY!!!

PLC programming is just putting your analysis about a machine or process in proper format. Brainworkwise it is lesser than designing the controls / selecting proper devices,sensors / preparing proper combination of input & outputs / defining various possible fault conditions & machine behaviour in same.

Many times PLC programming is all about knowledge of commands / device details etc ( & typing !)

If one can imagine & design good control systems then PLC programming is the last & least bothered part of the task!

regards
reachasp

Hello,
My name is Blake, hr on this forum it is bitmore. I have been in the industry for over 20 years. Yup, I did witness the birth of PLCs and some other "stuff" known as integration. Its all good! ****!, I hate that statement.
Knowledge is all it's cracked up to be, problem is nobody listens!

The ultimate downfall of a "newbie" in the market of inovation.

I have 3 things to inpart to you:

1. Learn the reason for the company looking to hire. "Very simply find out what they need!" and demonstrate your ability to fullfill that need.
2. Learn all the neuances of the manufacturing invironement. "what kind of equipement they use/build/envision,, ie.. conveyors,new wigets,,ect..and get to know that type of equipment.
3. Get to know the "GUYS", it never hurts to know and be able to recognise the company boss.

The most important thing to remember is,, they! are looking!

bitmore