FORUM QUESTION: Trends in types of threads

Peter Nachtwey said:
Then why are there so many questions about how do such basic things.

Well, you only see threads from people who are having problems. You would never see a thread started by someone who wasn't having a problem. Hell, this could be a forum on anything at all, and there would always be people constantly coming up to speed. All I can tell you is that I have had great success in explaining STL to anyone who wanted to listen.

I haven't seen evidence of it on this forum. I have seen veterans fight problems for days here.

Well, I've tried a couple of times. :) But honestly, there is a lot of resistance in the US with regard to trying new things. I am doing a project for a customer who could literally save tons of money (millions?) over the next few years if they would standardize their code and use STL where it makes sense, but their software manager will not even consider it. It isn't because he's stupid, but rather because he is afraid of new ideas. Sometimes veterans are their own worst enemy.

I am relativly new to this forum. I am more of a maintenance guy than a programmer. Sometimes I don't understand what the AB or whoever documantation says but if I ask here I get an answer that even this old brain can comprehend. Sometimes it's not a matter of searching it's a matter of understanding what those geeks are talking about.
Just reading the posts every day provides a wealth of information.

Always the Cracks on the newbies, what is funny is even tho it may have been 100 years ago all of You were at one time NEWBIES. I hope If I ever Learn the art of programming. That I'm not as impatient and arrogant towards Newbies as some of you here are.

Originally posted by bryan372001:

I hope If I ever Learn the art of programming. That I'm not as impatient and arrogant towards Newbies as some of you here are.

Where did THAT come from? The majority of this post has been a Siemens lovefest. What does that have to do with newbies? Granted, there are some threads where that may have been a relevent post, but this ain't one of them.

By the way, you don't want a period after 'programming'. You have two sentence fragments there that should be joined.

Keith

I hope you weren't referring to me, Bryan. I will willingly share anything I know, as will most people here. I've taught over 400 hours of PLC/Siemens programming at a local college, and most of them were newbies.

You just have to remember that a lot of people here have real jobs, and sometimes they only have a few minutes to squeeze in an answer that might seem trite or abrupt. But from standing back and observing, I think the "newbies" get a tremendous amount of help here.

No S7 wasnt referring to anyone who does not mind helping or that helps without sharing how frustrated they are with the newbies.....lol.

I do appreciate all the help here.

S7Guy said:
Actually, it's "grammar", not "grammer".

Just trying to help.

yeah you got me there, I actually do know how to spell grammar, just do pay much attention to typo's, or punctuation.

bryan372002 said:
yeah you got me there, I actually do know how to spell grammar, just do pay much attention to typo's, or punctuation.

Are you meaning to throw that out there, or are you really that clueless?

Forum

As someone who has asked a bunch of dumb questions, (although it did not seem dumb to me when I first wrote it), I have found this forum to be an excellent source of information with some great people who are always willing to help. Thanks.

I started in the Siemens S7 world and then move into A-B PLCs. When I go back to programming Siemens, I am often confronted with trying to program the A-B way. This mindset creates issues. Both PLC platforms are excellent but the progamming approach is vastly different. I see a lot of posts from people who get confused trying to approach Step 7 like RSLogix or vice versa. I just spent two days with an integrator working on a project for us trying to illustrate the merits of using S7-Graph, SCL, or CFCs over straight ladder. But coming from the SLC/PLC5 world, they feel ladder works fine so why use anything else.

No-one has cracked on newbies, just stated the facts in general.

First, the attitude to students etc has changed, for the better, dramatically over the years.

Secondly, you have done exactly as most of the students/newbies have done in the past. You found the site, registered, then made a post without taking the time to properly format the question. You made no effort to look through the site to familiarize yourself with how it works, what information is available, use the search feature, etc etc al.

The gripe, per se, about students/newbies is they are training for a professional field so should attempt to be professional in attitude and action.

It is akin to working on a machine, you first determine the problem using documentation, schematics, etc then obtain the proper tools etc that will allow you to perform the repairs.

The approach used by students is akin to walking up to a machine with no tools, no books, no drawings, and no knowledge of it but attempting to find the problem. When that does not work then they get someone else that is familiar with the machine, uses the proper tools etc., to fix it.

I know it bugs you now, bugged the **** out of me when I first came, but take some time and just look through the posts made by students/newbies, and you may get a better understanding of the attitude and comments made.
There have been some excellent students/newbies participate on this site, they took the time to do the homework that would provide the information needed to complete their homework assignments. In other words they put forth an inordinate amount of effort.