New to forum- first question

I would recomened AD DL06 too.The book writene in plain English.with examples.Very esay to start with.
Get the book the PDF file is not so good.

So now I have to wait 'till Friday- Arrrggh! I feel like a kid on Christmas. I may have to cancel my date on friday to play with my new toys- how sad is that! I have a bunch of prox sensors: inductive, capacative, and pneumatic valves/cylinders I want to interface. Paula, mind if I borrow some of your code to mess with? Wish I had some servos and encoders...

Buck

Bucky said:
Paula, mind if I borrow some of your code to mess with?

Hi Bucky,

My code? I'm not sure I have anything worth borrowing, as of yet. Perhaps you're referring the preliminary code that elevmike was kind enough to write for my application. As far as I know, it's still available in the "Learning by Doing" thread, and contains some good examples, especially in setting up the encoder.

In my opinion, you're taking one of the best approaches to learning PLCs: getting some actual equipment that you can experiment with -- especially if you have some tangible output devices that you can try controlling in different ways. Once you learn the basics, you can begin with the simplest of programs, and then start "what if?"-ing. "What if I try making this control that, but be dependent on this other thing happening six times?" (etc, etc.) This is the fun way to learn.

Yes, the encoder is great to mess around with -- setting it up and programming for it gives good experience with counters and comparative contacts.

Good luck, and have fun!

Paula

There used to be (probably still is) a step-by-step example garage door opener program in the AD book. I started with that about 6 years ago and it was by far the best learn as you do example I've seen. Needless to say when I was finished the "garage door opener" controlled the hot tub, pool filter, chemical injections for the pool, outdoor lights... Much fun :)

Bucky said:
I may have to cancel my date on friday to play with my new toys- how sad is that!

Bucky, Go ahead and cancel the date... The PLC will be novel, (just like a first date), and won't tell her friends if you did'nt perform well, and will do most anything you ask of it, and usually on the first request.

Additionally you wont have to open the door, buy flowers, or take it to an expensive restruant. It wont be offended if you swear at it, or dont bother taking a shower, and brushing your teeth etc..And when you tire of your new PLC all you have to do is unplug it...

If you have any trouble "communicating" with your PLC just tell us about it here, and we'll coach you through it.

Trust me.. Your going to have a great time Friday night.. ;)

Ahh, but you forgot that both involve knowing which buttons to push, paying attention when required (except with a girl, you can just nod occasionally). On the other hand, it's going to take more then flowers or my dashingly good looks to get what I want from my new toy the first night.

Buck

Hey,

Laugh-Point.gif
Mike and Bucky...

You guys are hilarious!

Bucky said:
On the other hand, it's going to take more then flowers or my dashingly good looks to get what I want from my new toy the first night.

But Bucky the PLC wont blow you off for good if you mess up on the first try, (like getting too excited and acting prematurly). You can have as many cracks at it as you need to reach your end goal. (very forgiving). And, it will never remind you of any of your past mistakes.....ever...

Cancel the date!! Go for the DL-06, it'll be much more gratifing...

Paula, you gotta know I'm only telling Bucky the truth of it all....

Rod,

Excerpt for realdoll.com's FAQ page..

Question: Do you offer electronic or animatronic versions of REALDOLL?

"Not at this time, but we hope to offer such dolls in the future. Check back with us frequently!"

I'm worke'n on it...

They must have eloped...My intimate "tinkering" time is usually during the week at night. Since I'm married, and have a family, they are usually in bed by 9p.m. or so.....gives me a couple hours of "quality" time, with my programming :D

I did niether. Wasn't feeling well Friday, so I canceled the date, and only got so far as to opening the box, and taking the plastic off the manuals. I had some time on sunday, but spent most of the time preparing my test bench wiring/soldering my switches, locating 24v PS, and leafing through the manual. I did finally get a switch mapped to x0 to turn on y0. I was pretty thrilled to see that LED fire, and hear that first relay click!

Looks like on of my first project will be to rig my test bench with prox sensors and buzzers/bells/pneumatic device to keep the damn cats off!

Buck

Bucky said:

Looks like on of my first project will be to rig my test bench with prox sensors and buzzers/bells/pneumatic device to keep the damn cats off!

Buck

Give it a little delay and let them sniff a around before you blast them with the air.

Bucky,

Let me know how your cat chasing project works out. I'm working on a simmilar project..a fully automated RAT KILLER. You see I was walking to my car the other day and noticed a Cat being chased by a Rat. :eek:

So far it goes like this:

Power supply: 220vac 1 phase @ 20 amps.

1. Rat is lured into a metal enclosure, by the effervesence of rotting tuna..

2. Rat trips reflective photo sensor that closes the door and turns on 4 k-watt heating element that cooks/incinerates RAT. :eek:

3. Once rat starts to smoke, (Gentex Smoke sensor) exhaust system turns on blower which then pulls smoke through Heppa and electrostatic filters.

4. Mass/weight of rat is measured by strain-guage sensor as rat is being incenerated. Once weight is down to the one ounce range it is presumed that mass is low so heating element turns off.

5. Smoke sensor detects lack of smoke and shuts down heppa filtering system.

6. Right wall opens, and left wall is driven by a screw ram (from Dodge) to push remains into adjoining disposal container. Ram retracts, and Right wall closes Trap door opens, and new Tuna is dispensed. NEXT!!!!

Whaddya think? :unsure: I figure a DL-06 will do the job with a couple of analog mods for heat and weight measurement will do the job. With an E-net module I can hook it up to our network and check on the progress, (how many, what times, total volume in the ash dispenser etc..) ;)