Frequent Motor Starting

go to http://www.sew-eurodrive.com/ this is one supplier
worth talking to. there are others

I laughed so hard.

We're doing a very similar thing in a packing machine for a main transport index. Sew-Eurodrive Movidrive B (MDX61B) servo drives, running an SEW-Eurodrive CMP series servomotor with resolver. It's a fairly inexpensive way to get something decent off the ground and will happily support either Digital I/O or Feildbus. The 2 we use are CanOpen (Built into the drive) or Ethernet/IP with Allen Bradley controllers (DFE33B card).

It's cheap and easy, why bother stuffing around trying to make something else work?

I have been involved with an Identical system JEEV
and it is cheaper and earier to use the servo.
I used the VSD method many times in the past, but now, there is no direct comparison.
The extra connections, wiring, mounting parts, programming etc. makes a servo so much cheaper.