FT Activation - How to release a license

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I ran into a weird issue with Rockwell's FT activation. We have a license server that hold some of our licenses. I usually borrow the licenses but sometime FT goes out and "grab" a floating license, thus creating this problem.

Example, I borrowed a 5000 Full license then somehow my machine also grab and hold on to the 5000 Pro license as well, taking that away from someone else who needs to use it. As it is a "floating" license and not borrowed there isn't a way I can Return it. So is there a way to release it? I tried to close all my Rockwell program and thinking it might do the trick but that doesn't do it.

If you actually borrowed it you can run FTAM (Factory Talk Activation Manager) on the machine that has it borrowed and there is a place where you can return it early.

What you describe sounds like you simply have checked it out automatically by having a connection to the license server and by running software that needed the license.

In most cases, simply closing the software will return it to "available" on the server.

Once in a while, I have had to run FTAM on the licensee machine and "refresh server" to get a license to show back up.

Twice in the past year, I had a license get lost in cyberspace. I had to rehost the license file (from the server machine) and then "get activation" to restore it. This happened due to an intermittent problem with a wireless router in our office. The router died a slow painful death, has been replaced and we've had no more problems.

Well, the license in question finally got "released", a few hours after I shutdown every Rockwell program on the machine that got the license.

It's one of the annoying thing with floating type licenses, especially with RA software there exist so many similar versions (Full, Standard, Pro).