FT View Distributed - SQL connection for FTAE Database

Hi All,

I'm having no luck with some development I've just started.

I'm deploying a new roll-out of a factory Talk View Distributed system.

I've purchased all of the VM templates from Rockwell. I have the VM's deployed via ESXi and everything seemed to be going on smoothly following Rockwell's publications just fine until today. Everything is on it's own VM, and I have the following:

• Domain Controller VM (just for domain control)
  • Factory Talk Directory and Activation VM
  • PASS01 (Primary HMI Server) VM
  • AppServ (SQL) VM
  • Historian VM
  • PASS02 (redundant HMI server) VM
  • Engineering Workstation VM

I've got the domain working great, I've activations and factory talk directory working great. I'm now working on setting up the primary HMI server (PASS01).

On PASS01, I am at the step where I make the database connection for the alarms and events. This should be talking the the AppServ (SQL) VM, where I have followed rockwell's instructions for configuring the SQL server. Everything appears fine with it.

This is the publication: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/proces-um100_-en-p.pdf

I am on page 61 (add the alarms and events database)

No matter what I do I cannot get any connection to the SQL database.

For the SQL VM configuration, I followed rockwell's template user manual: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/9528-um001_-en-p.pdf

The SQL template setup starts on page 60.

Back in the PASS VM, when I attempt to make the connection the SQL instance, I get error 5. I've tried this from the add database connection within ViewStudio, as well as when trying the FTAE Database update utility (which also tried to connect to the SQL database) and lastly the FT Database Connection Configuration tool. All three tools return the same error and seem to essential do the same thing.

I've made sure that the separate VM machines can ping each other, and both are visible to each via the Windows Explorer network. I've also made sure that the SQL server configuration can accept remote connections (it was already enabled when I checked, so presumably Rockwell's template set that correctly). Firewalls are disabled on both VMs as well.

At this point I believe there is some step, some checkbox, somewhere in the SQL setup that is rejecting the connection but at this point I am lost and I am frustrated that these "VM Templates" are still resulting in me having to lose hours and hours of time hunting ghosts.

Attached is a screenshot of the error with the ViewStudio error and the FTAE database utility show. I'd love some help if anyone has an ideas.

FTAE_SQL_Error.jpg

Well, finally got passed it.

If anyone stumbles upon this thread, the errors listed (in my case error 5) isn't a ViewStudio Error but also a SQL error that was researchable. Turns out TCP/IP had to be enabled in two locations. Not sure why RA's templates, and/or their documentation, doesn't point to this.