FTV and Panelview Plus issue

I finally got a chance to get back to this, been a busy couple weeks;

I snapped a shot of the network setup on the panel;

I'm concerned about the DF1 not being supported; there's no DF1 on the FTV communication setup.

Could this be an issue?

20200206_105132.jpg

"It sounds like you are still not quite there yet on your understanding of what is what or where is where?..."

That is exactly where I am at and this discussion is immensely helpful. Thank you, everyone, for having questions and answers.

Upon creating the runtime prior to download, I also received this message which may indicate something.

'Filler' is the name of the plc

WARNING: Device deletion detected. Shortcut name = "filler". Description: The system has detected that a device that was referenced by the noted shortcut has been deleted from the configuration. If the application still makes use of this device shortcut, then runtime errors will be detected and logged by the target system when the application attempts to use that device shortcut.

WARNING: Unsupported shortcut in Communication Setup. Shortcut name = "filler". Communication Protocol = "Unknown". Description: This communication protocol is not supported by the target terminals.

*** End FactoryTalk Linx Conversion Messages ***

Validation completed with warnings. The runtime application has been created.
CAUTION: Running this application might produce errors at runtime.

This may be the cause of my unsupported protocol error and I'm not sure how to address it.

toddp65 said:
...WARNING: Device deletion detected. Shortcut name = "filler". Description: The system has detected that a device that was referenced by the noted shortcut has been deleted from the configuration...

Is your 1769-L32E controller still under the "EtherNet, Ethernet" driver on the Runtime (Target) tab? As you know, this is what your "filler" Shortcut should be assigned to...

...When I open the config and go to the runtime side, the right side already drills down to the actual L32E controller before I even click on the 'filler' shortcut so it appears if it's already points to the controller...

Don't just go by what is displayed when you open this tab. Remember I explained earlier how to quickly identify which device, if any, is assigned to a Shortcut? With the driver expanded as far as your controller, click on the driver instance (EtherNet, Ethernet) on the right side, not the controller. Then click on the Shortcut and the controller should automatically be highlighted (Blue) on the right side, "if" the Shortcut is currently assigned to the controller. If not, then tell us what, if anything, does highlight when you select the Shortcut? I mean tell us "exactly" what highlights, and not just "the controller" is highlighted, please. It is very important.

Also, use the Verify button to open the Shortcut Verifier window and see what it describes for the Runtime path. It should probably say something similar to the "deleted" warning, or at minimum that it is currently assigned no path. Again, be specific if describing it.

By the way, did you delete the PanelView Plus terminal instance under the EtherNet, Ethernet driver?

If you find, one way or another, that the controller instance does not appear to be assigned to your Shortcut, then follow the steps we went over previously. Highlight the controller instance precisely, and not anything under it. Then highlight the Shortcut, and click "Apply". Use Verify again to check the Runtime path has now been assigned to a [Logix Device]. Then OK, close Communications Setup, save and attempt to compile once more.

I'm not going to get into what your screenshot of the current Shortcut configuration on the terminal shows, but it does somewhat indicate that what was configured in the application was as some point applied to the terminal by having selected replace communications.

If we get the application Shortcut sorted, and do use replace communications, then it will overwrite all this on the terminal, so no need to zone in on it, for now.

It's a little frustrating, as 5 minutes in front of all this would most likely get it sorted, as opposed to all this typing. But alas, this is where we are, and it will do you no harm learning these things the "hard way".

Regards,
George

"Is your 1769-L32E controller still under the "EtherNet, Ethernet" driver on the Runtime (Target) tab? As you know, this is what your "filler" Shortcut should be assigned to..."

Yes it is still under that.

when I clicked on the filler shortcut on the left and then I point up and down the expanded tree on the right, it tells me which device on the tree that you can point to. I reached the controller and it approves that selection.

When I hit verify it gives me a couple warnings:

CPR: 9
Server: 'RNA://$PRD_C7605C30_376E_47F7_8815_80ACE0297133/CFT_Modified_New_1/RSLinx Enterprise' on 'localhost'.

Shortcut 'filler':
- Note: Path to Design device is assigned [Logix Device].
- Warning: Offline tag file assigned but NOT found on workstation.
- Warning: Path to Runtime device NOT found in configuration.
- Warning: Runtime and Design paths assigned to different device families.

I can drill to the controller and ask it 'ok' and then it asks me if I want to replace the path runtime target. Both current and new controllers are listed with one having a '2' in the number and the other just the controller number.

Argh, sorry I was replying earlier when a lightning strike took out our plant. "Shocking" weather here at the moment. I've been running around getting everything back up for 5 production lines. All you need late on a Monday afternoon!...

toddp65 said:
"Is your 1769-L32E controller still under the "EtherNet, Ethernet" driver on the Runtime (Target) tab? As you know, this is what your "filler" Shortcut should be assigned to..."

Yes it is still under that.

when I clicked on the filler shortcut on the left and then I point up and down the expanded tree on the right, it tells me which device on the tree that you can point to. I reached the controller and it approves that selection.

When I hit verify it gives me a couple warnings:

CPR: 9
Server: 'RNA://$PRD_C7605C30_376E_47F7_8815_80ACE0297133/CFT_Modified_New_1/RSLinx Enterprise' on 'localhost'.

Shortcut 'filler':
- Note: Path to Design device is assigned [Logix Device].
- Warning: Offline tag file assigned but NOT found on workstation.
- Warning: Path to Runtime device NOT found in configuration.
- Warning: Runtime and Design paths assigned to different device families.

I can drill to the controller and ask it 'ok' and then it asks me if I want to replace the path runtime target. Both current and new controllers are listed with one having a '2' in the number and the other just the controller number.

I'm not reading the word "Apply" up there anywhere?

Aside from all the checking I'm suggesting you do, I don't see you actually attempting to "Apply" the controller under the Runtime (Target) tab to the "filler" Shortcut?

1. Select the "filler" shortcut on the left

2. Select the controller instance on the right

3. Select "Apply" button top left (if available)

4. Select "Verify" bottom right

5. Look for "Note: Path to Runtime device is assigned [Logix Device]."

Here's an example I've made up for you. Yours should look something like this...

filler_shortcut.png

Regards,
George

Well, i didn't necessarily want to apply because I didn't want to commit to something I wasn't sure of.

I performed that task and it noted the same thing you have in the above note in the highlighted blue sentence.

toddp65 said:
Well, i didn't necessarily want to apply because I didn't want to commit to something I wasn't sure of.

I performed that task and it noted the same thing you have in the above note in the highlighted blue sentence.

Fully understood. You could have been working with a copy of the application if you would have liked to retain the original?

If the controller you have "Applied" has the correct IP assigned in your application, then you should be able to compile and transfer to the HMI terminal again, selecting replace communications.

Of course, my example IP address of "10.255.189.121" was intended to mimic your setup as shown on your screenshots. But I typo'd that "1" in there at the end instead of "0" (10.255.189.120).

I'm of the thinking that the "filler" Shortcut was assigned to some "device" that was deleted from the Runtime (Target) tag configuration, or else it became corrupted. Re-applying the correct controller/IP address configuration should hopefully restore the Shortcut to working order.

...(Did you, or will you, delete the PanelView Plus instance under the Ethernet driver on the Runtime (Target) tab?)...

Regards,
George

"(Did you, or will you, delete the PanelView Plus instance under the Ethernet driver on the Runtime (Target) tab?)..."

No I didn't delete it...was I supposed to--it's still present.

When I compiled and created runtime after doing all the steps above with my RS enterprise setup, I still receive the same wordpad warning as above