FTV Delete unused images

jholm90

Curious if anyone has a tool or method for removing the unused images from FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition.

Our customer has provided a template and specified no-text on the HMI so there are a few hundred images here and I would like to remove the ones that will not be needed - probably ~40 images total.

The pending solution that I have in my mind at the moment is to export all of the displays to XML and generate a table with all of the 'imageName', then compare with a directory listing of the workspace's 'Images' folder. This would give me a report that I can delete the unused items one at a time...

Curious if anyone else has a better path?

Hi jholm90,

How do you "export all of the displays to XML"?
In my case, I don't mind deleting the images one by one by right-clicking on them and clicking "Delete" (in the Explorer window under Graphics/Images), but how do I know which ones are used? If you click Delete and the image is used somewhere, will FTV refuse to delete it?

Thank you

Right-click on displays/graphics folder in the tree and select export, then on the next page select all of them.

I wrote a script that opens all of the files and generates a list of images used per display. It then combines the list used on all displays to create a unique images list. I then go thru this list one by one and delete all the ones in Factorytalk Studio that are not on the list my script generated.

If you delete an image that is used, the image will show up with an X in the error state. FactoryTalk Studio does not alert you when attempting to delete a used image