FTView HMI String for Global Object Tagging

Quango62

Hi,

I have come across a Global Object using the following string for animation:

{/#1::[#2]#3.XX}

I think this is being used to make populating the G-Object quicker as it has 10+ references using the string, ie;

{/#1::[#2]#3.Alarm} and {/#1::[#2]#3.FB1} etc

I have not yet set up the tags as we are offline, but according to the Global Object definitions are as follows:

#1 is the Data Server Path
#2 is the RS Linx Path
#3 is the Mod Name

I assume that we will have to generate tags for I/O each controller with generic name for equipment and associated .Alarm and .FB1 reference.

Can anyone explain what teh Data Server Path would be?

Also The RSlinx I think would be PLC, where would I find what PLC Path?

Also the Mod Name, am I right in thinking that typing in the generic tag name without _alrm or _fb etc would make teh string work?

Hi,

I have come across a Global Object using the following string for animation:

{/#1::[#2]#3.XX}

I think this is being used to make populating the G-Object quicker as it has 10+ references using the string, ie;

{/#1::[#2]#3.Alarm} and {/#1::[#2]#3.FB1} etc
"A Tag Placeholder is a string that is replaced by a tag name at run time" (taken from the FTV help). In your example, #1 to #3 are tag placeholders and you use them to build recyclable objects. Instead of build the same object several times you only need to invoke the same object (global object) using a different set of parameters.

I have not yet set up the tags as we are offline, but according to the Global Object definitions are as follows:

#1 is the Data Server Path
#2 is the RS Linx Path
#3 is the Mod Name

I assume that we will have to generate tags for I/O each controller with generic name for equipment and associated .Alarm and .FB1 reference.
You're right. You need an object in the PLC with those properties (or data structure), maybe a UDT or AOI.

Can anyone explain what teh Data Server Path would be?
The data server path is the data server name, as it appears on the project explorer. For example, you can use data servers when you need to read data from OPC servers (and those OPC servers could be reading from other brands of PLCs).

Also The RSlinx I think would be PLC, where would I find what PLC Path?
On the Project Explorer, look for RSLinx Enterprise > Communication Setup. After right clicking on Communication setup you'll see a window with two panels: left panel is the shorcut list and right panel is the RSLinx Enterprise tree. If "PLC" doesn't appears on the left panel, you'll need to create it.
Also the Mod Name, am I right in thinking that typing in the generic tag name without _alrm or _fb etc would make teh string work?
Right again. When you put a global object in a display, right click on the object. Then click on Global Object Parameter Values. There you write what string will be #1, #2, etc.