FTView SE Cannot resolve tag ID

cardosocea

Hello,

I'm creating a small application to operate a valve on an existing application between a CompactLogix and a FTView SE instance.

I created a pop up window to display the state of the valve and two buttons (open, close).

I pass two parameter tags to the display, the first with the PLC UDT address for the valve and the second with an HMI tag to display the name of the valve.

The state of the valve works correctly (it's a total of 16 equal valves) and the update and hiding of controls works depending on the valve state. However, when trying to make the Open and Close buttons work, FTView Spits out an error saying :

Failed to resolve ite's ID'"[PLC Shortcut]PLC_UDT_Tag.cmd.open' because it does not exist on any server

Tag '{"[PLC Shortcut]PLC_UDT_Tag.cmd.open} does not exist

Now, I can navigate to these tags on the different instances and have configured the button to command the tag directly without the placeholder and it works fine. So I'm really at a loss as to why it can read the status tags based on the placeholder, but can't write to them or find them.

Any thoughts or experiences with this before with any of you?

Edit: The message seems a bit cryptic as well to be honest and I've played with all sorts of combinations of the curly brackets without any luck.

Last edited:
Can you post what you have on the connection tab for the button(s)? And if you are using a parameter file, the relevant portion of that file, post that also.

If you get it to work directly, then it must be a syntax issue.

OG

I missed an important detail on the post above.

I had the button set to "Run Command" (I was re-using graphics to keep the standard) and then chose to &Set{#1.cmd.open} 1. This didn't work at all.

It then dawned on me that there are more options on the Run Command drop down menu and chose Set to 1, and set the variable to {#1.cmd.open}. This works fine.

I'm sure it is something about the syntax of the Set command that I didn't get quite right, but the problem is solved so happy days. Mainly for the operators that have to walk far less to open a valve controlled from a PLC that has been networked for about a decade now.

Failed to resolve ite's ID'"[PLC Shortcut]PLC_UDT_Tag.cmd.open' because it does not exist on any server

Tag '{"[PLC Shortcut]PLC_UDT_Tag.cmd.open} does not exist

Just to confirm....

Is the cmd a nested UDT in PLC_UDT_Tag?

If not then . is not valid for a member of a UDT. Should it be PLC_UDT_Tag.cmd_open?

Just to confirm....

Is the cmd a nested UDT in PLC_UDT_Tag?

If not then . is not valid for a member of a UDT. Should it be PLC_UDT_Tag.cmd_open?

It is nested. PLC_UDT_Tag has a few UDTs inside it, the cmd is one UDT, followed by input, output, intlk, etc...

The variable worked when the button was set to "Set to 1" instead of Run command, so most likely my syntax of the run command was wrong.