FTView Studio SE - .apa file not valid

dmw3st

Hi - trying to "restore" application using Application Manager on a machine running FTView SE Client, v6.1. When doing so, I am getting a ".apa file not valid" error.

The application was created with version 8.1 of FTView Studio on a different machine.

To move the application across, I'm doing a "backup" from the machine running v8.1 and attempting the "restore" on the machine running v6.1.

Any suggestions on why I'm getting the error, and what I can do to make this work?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

In general, backward-migration of Project files is not possible with FactoryTalk View SE (and with most HMI software systems).

If the FactoryTalk View Application was created in Version 8.1, then it's going to have to be run in version 8.1 or migrated to a later version.

This is not the same with FactoryTalk View Machine Edition; the Studio development environment can create *.MER Runtime files for older versions of the software, so I can create an application in modern FactoryTalk View Studio that will run on any vintage of PanelView Plus terminal firmware.

But (and I have less experience with it) FactoryTalk View SE requires a whole set of tools/functions that must be the same revision for the Client to run the project.

What's your goal; are you just trying to run a Client on this older machine, that will connect to a FactoryTalk View SE server running 8.1 on another computer ? If so, why not install the 8.1 Client ?

Or are you trying to open up the project on a computer that has the Server, or the Studio ?

Last edited:
Also: I think that FactoryTalk View 6.1 to 6.2 was when the software migrated from using an internal 32-bit database engine to 64 bit engine.

Even if the software had some "save as old version" features, the 32->64 bit change was a one-way ticket.