Fuses Help please

Good for the teacher to ask questions here. Please, come back ask about anything; this is a good community, somebody will give you a good solution.
Nobody knows everything. I love teachers who are asking questions.
A "know all" teacher sometimes kills student's creative mind.

I believe he is 1) saying the motor current is driven up by the brake, not that the brake current is going up. and 2) he is using that brake to put a load on the motor for demonstration purposes, so as counter-intuitive as it sounds, it's exactly what he's doing.

right?

I think you are right. Teachers do all kind experiments to prove theories to student. Applying brake while giving gas would be a good experiment to see how the system works. School is different from workplace, it does different things. School is good place to learn theory and try things you might not be able to try in workplace.

Tim: I've just watched your video and I must commend you for reaching out for help long before your class has started. My two cents worth. Your set-up appears correct as far as Canadian code is concerned. For a motor that size, overload protection is not required. But an using an overload relay as a teaching aid may help you. As you are currently set - did you catch that: "currently", a little electrical humour - an overloaded fuse will pop and shut you down. A variable overload will allow you to change the trip point AND keep it under 10A , saving you $20. Things like tripping curves can be sourced from the fuse manufacturer. Contact a local supplier, contractor or even a factory if hardware costs aren't available.