G308/Crimson Questions

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,
I am starting a new project using a Red Lion G308 connected to a existing AB SLC 504 PLC. This is my second project with the G308. First one was using a ML 1400.

Here is the hardware configuration:
Communications: TCP/IP Via 1761-NET-ENI
Slot 0: Processor SLC 5/03
Slot 1: 1747-SN RIO Scanner Module (3 LOGICAL FULL RACKS)
Slots 2-12: Digital IO

Questions:
  1. Any issues connecting the G308 to the PLC via the ENI? I can get on-line with the PLC via the network so I know it works. What do I select in the Device Identification: SLC or ENI/Micrologix?
  2. I know how to address a PLC point in Crimson with a ML and add on modules. How should I address the RIO points? In RSL500 I can put a input in as I:1.1/8 or as I:1/24. How does it need to be addressed in Crimson 3.0 to get the HMI to work? My guess is I001:001 bit 8.
  3. Since this project is much more complicated than my last one I was looking at using folders to organize my tags in Crimson. Any issues with folders? Looks pretty straight forward but you know how that goes.
  4. Is there a way to copy Master Slides from one project to another? I would like to use the same Master Slide I used last project.
If you have any other things for me to look out for please let me know. The PLC is a 4 hour drive away and the more I can work out at home the happier I will be.

Thanks All!!

Sorry just noticed that I put 5/04 in one place and 5/03 in another. The processor is a 5/04.

I need to add one more question: Can you import a AutoCAD drawing into Crimson? I have some drawings of some special equipment and it would be cool if I could put them on the screen,

Bullzi: I have used G3's with NET-ENI's on many occasions... you shouldn't expect any problems. In Crimson set the driver to "ENI/Micrologix". Just be careful if you have other devices on the Ethernet network that are communicating with the ENI--it only supports a finite number of connections (I can't recall the exact number).

How should I address the RIO points? In RSL500 I can put a input in as I:1.1/8 or as I:1/24. How does it need to be addressed in Crimson 3.0 to get the HMI to work? My guess is I001:001 bit 8.
Your guess is correct. Unfortunately they don't use the correct punctuation in the AB driver.

Can you import a AutoCAD drawing into Crimson? I have some drawings of some special equipment and it would be cool if I could put them on the screen
Crimson allows you to import bitmaps. Easiest way to import AutoCAD would be to take a screenshot of the relevant area. Crop it in Paint and invert colors if necessary, then save it as a BMP or JPG.