Ge 9070

jimcav

Good Morning,

I am currently running a GE 9070 PLC. In the PLC rack there is a GE IS215UCVDH7AN card. This card is used to communicate to 5 GE DC Drives through want is called the DLAN, this uses coax cable with BNC connectors. Is DLAN the proper name? Is DLAN a GE proprietary network. My goal would be to replace the 9070 with a control logix platform and still use the DLAN network for the DC drives. Is there a protocol converter or OPC device that can be used.

Thanks for the help

jimcav

DLAN is a proprietary GE product. The DLAN module for the 90-70 was a product of the drives group, not the PLC group. Back in the days of the GE Series Six, there was a fair amount of cooperation between the PLC people and the drives people. That cooperation didn't last. By the time the 90-70 superseded the Series Six, it was almost gone.
The 90-70 utilizes a VME backplane and Allen Bradley used to offer a VME version of the PLC5. Given that, if there is a migration path from the VME PLC5 to Control Logix, there may be hope.
I think you might have more luck trying to find an EthernetIP board to put on the drive than to find a way to make the DLAN module play in the same sandbox with a Control Logix.

Hi jimcav,

The mentioned IS215UCVD H7AN is the part number for an Innovation series controller.
It is possible to use it as a bridge to DLAN network, because it is possible to talk with the controller with Modbus TCP.
The controller can be connected as a Modbus slave, so it can translate commands from/to Modbus to DLAN.
As far as i know it must be possible to use a controllogix as Modbus master ( I am not so familiair with AB systems, only some SLC500 stuff).
Most important is that you have the software to program the UCVD unit. You need the GE-control system toolbox and the serial cable with mini sub-d connector for serial communication.
Do you have any experience with this GE platform ?

Greetings John.