GE Fanuc 9030 comms to ABB ACS550 drive

CraigM

Hi all
First project on a GE 9030 and would like some help with setting up comms to an ABB ACS550 drive.

Scenario:
10-slot rack with CPU363, CMM321 and various IO.
I'm using port 2 (as there are 2 drives) and have made up a cable as per the manual GFK-0356Q on pg5-22 as follows:
pin 1: shield
jumper pin 6 & 15
jumper pin 8 & 14
pin 7: grnd
pi 10 & 12: RS485 +
pin 11 & 13: RS485 -

On the drive side the terminals are labelled A (-ve) and B (+ve).

I'm aware of the settings in the drive but need to know what the settings should be on the CPU363 port 2 namely:
Port Mode, Duplex Mode etc and what logic function do I use to be able to read and write data to/from the drive?

Presumably you're using Modbus (RTU) protocol? Is the PLC going to be the master?

You will need to use COMMREQ instructions in ladder to logic to setup the port and to control the sending of commands to the drive. You will also need to define where in the PLC to store the data that you read from the drive.

GFK-2220C covers setting up the COMMREQ instructions for Modbus.

Cheers, found the document.
Yes, using modbus RTU and the PLC is the master.
Will give it a go...

FYI

The data had to be mapped in the drive. I had to map the required data from 40101 (5 regs) to 40005. However, if I mapped only 1 register yet I coded the COMREQ to read say 5, ALL data was returned as zeros!! I had to set the number of registers to read exactly the same as the number of registers mapped. All was fine after that. Thanks to the guys at Control Technologies for their help on this one.