Ge Fanuc 9030 with Modbus

sjohnson

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Afternoon I have a few questions regarding Ge Fanuc 9030 series and Modbus.

I have a Ge Fanuc 9030 for test Purposes. The Rack Is Configuration is like this.
Slot 0: IC693PWR321 Power Supply
Slot 1: IC693CPU341 CPU
Slot 2: IC693CMM321 Ethernet Module
Slot 6: IC693MDL940 16 PT Relay Output

I have A Schneider Electric TSXETG100 ETHERNET Gateway to Modbus Serial.
The IC693CMM321 Ethernet Module going to network switch along with the TSXET100 gateway. 2 Wire Serial going to a Power Management ACM3300 power meter.

I’m trying to communicate to the ACM3300 meter Modbus. I am using the IC693CMM321 as slave and the TSXET100 as the master it is the only way I can get the Registers Data from the meter. Looking into GFK-1541B PLC’s being used as a Slave/Server “No programming is required”. I cannot get any data unless I do a BLK_MOVE Word and Comm_Req. I have attached a copy of both my test program and the original program. The original program uses A PCM311 Communications Module running a Megabasic PGM. I want to get rid of these old Modules.
In my test program I can Toggle the DO_OPEN %M01024 at rung 2 it will then open the connection which I can see in the TSXET100 Statistics Page. It will send but rung 8 %R00011 will not Read Success will not set to 1 even though it does read message. Also the close request does not change %R00012 even though I toggle close request and it does close the connection. But as you can see in my BLK_MOV on rung 9 that In Word 11 I have plc Starting address is %R00500 And I do get data but It looks like no matter what Numbers I Put in word 13 it looks like I can only get 10 registers at a time.
Question
1. Why doesn’t the send request %R00011 go on even though it does send?
2. Why doesn’t the Close request %R00012 go to 0 or off even though it does close channel.
3. Can I only get 10 Registers at a time through the TSXET100 Gateway?
4. Do I need to do a BLK_MOV for every 10 Registers I need to get data from.
5. What can I do to get data with no Comm_Req as per GFK-1541 “No programming required” if using as a Slave.
6. How can I use the ETXET100 and IC693CMM321 instead of the Old PCM311?
Any Help in any of this matter would be greatly appreciated. I do not want someone to do the work but steer me in the right direction for I have done nothing with Modbus before.
Thanks Shawn
Files for Viewing:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7du42cm7o18905y/GE_POWER_PGM.zip

Last edited:
If your TSXETG100 is the master, it needs to gather data off of the meter and then place it into appropriate registers on the PLC. The manual GFK-1541B is correct in that you don't need any code in the PLC for the PLC to act as a slave to the TSXETG100 device. The majority of the programming will have to be done in the TSXETG10.

I guess I should probably clarify a bit - on the serial side you will have master/slave relationships. On the Modbus TCP/IP side you will have client/server relationships. To have the
TSXETG100 be in charge it will need to be the master on the serial side and a client on the Ethernet side. Can the TSXETG100 act as a Modbus Client? If not, you will have to make the CMM321 card the Modbus Client, and the PLC code will need to be constructed to do so.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Caddymac The TSXETG100 can be either master or slave. I have only been able to get data as acting as a master with some basic comm_req and BLK_MOV via ge fanuc gfk1541. It says no programming required if used as a slave.. but in the conifig of the TSXETG100 there is limited parameters and being new to modbus and having several projects going at one time i am wondering if i coming or going. Trying to complete this delta with emerson servo project and had GE Rep do a risk assesment and we have over 3/4 of a million dollars in GE products and alot is discontinued or mature products. I just received my first RX3I Friday and look forward to implempting the profinet and genius as I make the transition..(Ok I just took a breath) But anyway. I have 8 ACM3300 Power Management Meters which Get data from Every Facility on our property. Currently They use the PCM311 Running Megabasic which i lost everything due to a power failure and 1 dead battery.. took a bit but i found the MASTER_RTM on GE sight made necessary changes and fought to get it loaded with PCOP, LM90... all I would like to accomplish is get rid of the PCM311 as a communication master and use the gateway to pull data of the ACM3300. If you look at my files you can see I can set the TSX as master or slave I can pull holding Registers but to have a 9030 as a slave and the TSX as the master Im drawing a blank on how to get my real time data.. If you can download the files and and see what I have.. I really am thankful for any input..

I skimmed through the manual and it does NOT appear that the TSXETG100 can be a Modbus Client. Your PLC will need to act as a Modbus Client, which means that comm reqs will have to be used. There will be no getting around this.

Just throwing this out there - if you are upgrading to RX3i, could you get a serial card for the RX3i and connect the meters to that card? Or are you using the TSXETG100 to access the meters from other devices?

Thanks for the reply caddymac. If I wasn’t confused before I currently am now. :) On page 7 of the TSXETG100 You can set the ETG as a Master or Slave. Setting to slave with the same Comm_Req and BLK_MOV scheme I can get data as the ETG a Master but not Slave. But as per GFK-1541 “this chapter only applies to PLC's being used as A Client (Master) to Initiate Modbus/Tcp communications. Which doesn’t make sense since I have the TSX as master and with the Comm_Req and Blk_Mov I have placed in ladder doesn’t make sense that I can retrieve data from the 3300 ACM each time I open and close channel. I suppose it would be easier with an RX3i but I was just planning on getting rid of the PCM311 for now. The scheme at our substation is the PLC on our Network with IC693CMM321 then an IC693PCM311 hooked to 8 ACM3300 Power Meters. Retrieving Register data then our HMI pulling the Register data for viewing and Calculations. So yes the plc is the only thing that will be hooked to the ACM3300. So if I use the TSXETG100 as the master with the PLC as the slave and the 3300 as the slave. It says no programming required and the Reference table translation on Appendix E of gfk-1541 which reads. “%R1-32640 (16 Bit words) CMM321 Internal Tables. And Modbus Register Table 4XXXX 29185-61824 (16 bit words). So my question is if no programming required for cmm321 or plc as slave and TSXetg100 Set as master why the only way I get data is the Comm_Req and BLK_MOV I know once I understand what and why I will slap myself in the head.

The answer is the TSXETG100 is acting as a master on the serial port side and a slave (server) on the Ethernet side.

Make sure that your CMM321 is the latest firmware rev. If older than 3.10 you may see your symptoms. I recommend updating that CPU341 also, if it has not already been done.

In the GEIP world it is always best to update all hardware firmware to the latest revision when a problem is encountered.

Almost all revisions fix more than they break. :)

Also you are correct that updating to RX3i will make all (anyway most) of these problems go away.

The answer is the TSXETG100 is acting as a master on the serial port side and a slave (server) on the Ethernet side.
If you can find them, an IC693CMM311 and appropriate COMM_REQs will give you another alternative to replacing the PCM311. This would keep you on the Serial bus though.

For Ethernet you will be much better served by replacing the CPU with a CPU372 which includes Ethernet and better Ethernet than the CMM321.

Russ, isn't the CMM311 a Modbus slave only?
Thank you!
You are correct, this is not the first time I have misinterpreted this one, maybe it's my dyslexia.

But I believe the OP stated that the PLC could be set up as slave also.