GE Proficy iFix 6.1 - Saving and restoring tag values

Schtiel

Hello,

During runtime I change values of some internal tags (i.e. F_CV of DO tags). And I want them to be saved when I switch runtime off, and restored when I switch runtime on again.

What is the simplest way to do that?

Same question - is there any way to have a Tag (not stored in an external device) retain its value when ifix is re-started?
For me I want to store some user setpoint values (used for display purposes on the screen).
There does not appear to be any way. Very frustrating!

I haven't used iFIX in nearly a decade but I'm sure there were script functions for writing to text files. Set up a data change script for each tag, write its value to file when it changes.

On iFIX start up, read the values back into the tags.

Cumbersome but unless you have a PLC with retentive memory i can't see another option?

I have always used a PLC for such storage. Bigger operations have used SQL for recipes which is the same idea you are looking for. I never trusted the iFix DB to hold anything important through a shutdown as the next poll that occurs on startup would replace it.

I dont' know if PAR would work after iFix is restarted. Typcally, such operation is done through a historian or you can even use the PLC to store a value if you ever need the HMI to be restarted.

If you don't have a historian you can always read/write to a text file or use Excel's OPC function (search) to hold the values.

ETA: also, iFix does have ODBC ability so you can probably use a Database like Access to hold the values.

Thanks all for the responses. PAR does look like it would work well, and I will hopefully try sometime.
In the meantime I found that one of the SCADA Nodes in the system had the IGS driver installed, and have used its Simulation driver with Persistence checked. Which should suffice for now.

I have used PAR blocks to do this in the past.

Thank you for this tip. Looks like it should solve this issue.

Extract from manual on configuration:

Use the Database Dynamo Configuration Utility (BTKCFG.exe) to add the Persistent Array (PAR) to iFIX. After iFIX is restarted, you will then be able to add blocks of these types in the iFIX Database Manager.

86dc14b19dd7276c366072298649c34f.png

1. Double-click the Btkcfg.exe file to launch the Database Dynamo Configuration Utility. By default, this file is located in the iFIX install folder, C:\Program Files\Proficy\Proficy iFIX.
2. In the Available Database Dynamos list, select BTK_PAR.dll and click Add
3. On the File menu, click Save.
4. Restart iFIX. After iFIX restarts, you will then be able to add the blocks in the above table within the iFIX Database Manager

It is also possible to add PAR via command line:

BTKCFG /ABTK_PAR