GE90/30 Module repair,Approved method?

CalG

Mundane,

But with four out of five cards having broken "hanger clips" (if that is the correct term)
I'm just wondering if I might gain from those who have already BTDT.

Before I start in with bent metal clips and JB weld,....what is a good fix for these broken tabs?

TIA

Cal

What I have done in the past.. Take a bad module but with good tabs. I made a small tool to hold the 4 tabs out enough to slide the card out of the holder. Put the good card in the good holder.. Don't forget to label the module or work very carefully and peel the identification label and reinstall on the correct module.

What we have done is:

1) 'Creative' temporary solutions; i.e. props to the bottom of the cards, clear package tape over the top corners of all the cards (be careful not to cover vents, or the terminal door), velcro strips under the back plane and over the top corners of the cards.

2) The best (and probably cheapest) quality solution - buy a blank 'filler' module, and put the guts of your card into the housing of the filler module.

The filler module part number is IC693ACC310 which fits all I/O modules except some of the 32 point ones.

To prevent the breakage, teach everyone how to properly remove the module by lifting the lever on the bottom and rotating the bottom out/up and over and support them in place when shipping.

Last edited:
I recently worked at a job where EVERY card in the rack was broken from improper removal, except the power supply.
They had duct tape from across the top of the power supply to the top of the modules on the complete rack (13 slot) to hold all the modules in.
The duct tape even completely covered the cooling holes on the top of some of the modules.
I was called out because the analog TC modules were way off. Removed tape over cooling holes and modules were okay.
Paid trip overseas for a 1 hour fix.

Even while I was working on it I would bump the rack, causing modules to come loose, and the plc would shut down because the CPU disconnected......PAIN.

Last edited:
Replies appreciated

I didn't think I was the only one who would have experienced these broken tabs.

I guess it's too late to train "everyone", heck, there are new people born every day. With only a finite number of tabs to break, it's only a matter of time! I am holding a global training seminar on card removal and installation sometime soon. Just waiting for funding approval ;-)

That JB Weld is looking better and better ;-)

Sometimes plastics are not the correct material choice.

cheers

The longer I live, the more I am convinced that there are a few out there who are literally unteachable. :)

Sad thing is they vote too. ;)

The longer I live, the more I am convinced that there are a few out there who are literally unteachable. :)

Sad thing is they vote too. ;)

Russ

When I'm trying to fix something and can't I figure out how it's supposed to work, breaking the damn thing good is any easy justification for getting a new one ;-)

But with the years, I find it's often the case that someone else has beat me too it, and I can learn from their telling me about the journey. ;-)