GEFanuc software

russrmartin

Men,

My father called me yesterday asking about a machine they have where he works that has been down for a week. It is a Powerfold machine. I did a little looking, and they come with a GE PLC in them. They have no one there who can troubleshoot this thing, which probably means they have no software to talk to it. Does GE have a free downloadable software package to get familiar with their ladder logic, or would I have to purchase it. He simply sparked my curiosity and I would like to take a look at the machine, but it would be nice to have a little bit of an introduction before I go troubleshooting it. Thanks.

Russ

GeFanuc Software

Hi Russ,

The first thing you have to do is, find out wich software you need. Because GE has Logicmaster, versapro and cimplicity machine edition.

Greetings
marc

I work with PLC's everyday, but I have never done a thing with GE. I don't work with my father, so I am just trying to find some contacts for him to get the ball rolling for them where he works. I am under the impression that they have no engineers present and the maintenance department is fairly primitive when it comes to machine control. You guys are basically suggesting that I put him in touch with GE directly? I was hoping there was a downloadable trial software they could use to troubleshoot their machine. Obviously they are going to need to make a purchase to avoid this scenario again. I am sorry, I do not even know what the model PLC this machine has in it. The manufacturer simply states that it is a GEFanuc PLC.

I believe you can download or get on CD the VersaPro software, with a free two week demo. You will probably have to buy a cable and RS232/422 adapter to connect your PC to the PLC - this may vary with model.

better yet

Better yet, does anyone know of any engineering firms in southern wisconsin that could send someone on scene to troubleshoot this problem. I have talked to my father this morning and told him this would be be fastest solution to getting this machine running. This also would allow them to set up some sort of class to get a couple of in house people trained on GE sofware.

I have Versapro and a cable to talk to the 90-30 series PLC. I am not sure if is the same one for the other series. I could probably help get the machine running, but I haven't used the software enough to be a really good trainer.

Can you give a little more backgound on the machine?

Russ,

I dont mean to be rude, but if you work with PLCs all the time, you should be able to instruct your dad on how to get the PLC model. If its a series one, than you might want to go to AD; if its a 90-30 then GE.

Can he tell if its in the run mode? Does he have wiring diagrams? Ask a few questions. Odds are he has a bad input, or output module. Series One bases are also known to fail. It wouldnt take a PLC expert to figure a bad I/O or swap parts etc..

If you could motivate your dad a little, you may not need to send a tech to his shop.

Mike.

90/30

If it's a 90/30, get someone to check or simply replace the power supply. Of the 611 units I put in the field, failures: power supplies-23, and all else 3..It's easy to check the 24VDC, and not so easy to
check the 5VDC.....

the decision

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I gave my father GEFanuc's # and told him to call them. I also told him to get the model # from the PLC. I did not get a chance to talk to him today to see what they decided to do. I told him I thought the best thing would be to get a GE person in there, since the HMI is iFIX or Wonderware, depending on the machine model. GE people should be trained in both, plus after this whole debacle is over, they can schedule a class to have a couple of their maintenance people trained on communicating and troubleshooting the PLC's they have in house. I also gave him this website so if the training and such ever evolves, the people have a good place to come and get their questions answered as they are learning. Thanks all for the input. Rick, where are you located? This particular machine is at Nelson Indrustries in Muscoda, WI. The machine is from Powerfold. The website is www.Powerfold.de This can give you a small idea of what the machine is, it doesn't look too menacing to me. I will find out what they decided to do and get back to you on the subject. Thanks again to all.

Russ

For some reason, I misread your post. I am in the Milwaukee area. I thought you said Southeastern.

Be that as it may, I am now committed for the rest of the week. I could have yesterday.

I looks like it may be a GE Fanuc CNC control, not stand-alone PLC.

Rick, I think you've called it correctly. GE Fanuc CNC controllers include PLC functionality. The interface looks like the CNC console. Russ, tell your father to look inside the electrical cabinet at the controller. If the plastic housing is yellow, it's a CNC. If it's a CNC, you may be able to monitor the PLC program from the operator's console. You can also call up error messages from the same console.

More questions

I am planning on visiting the plant with the machine in question today. I did some looking on GE's website. I"m not sure what software I will need yet, but with the CNC controls and PLC functionality, does that mean I'm probably not going to get a traditional ladder diagram? Or that I can get a ladder diagram from the HMI somehow? I'm trying to have an idea how I can troubleshoot this thing when I get there.

If the controller is a CNC, you can probably see the ladder program, but you probably won't be able to edit it. I believe that the ability to edit ladder is an extra-cost option that OEMs typically don't include with the controllers. There is a DOS software package called FAPT ladder that could be used, or a handheld unit called a DPL/MDI. The handheld is the same one used with the Series 90-30 PLC, but with different key designations.

Look at your PMs. I left you my telephone number there. If you want, you can call me and I'll try to help you understand what you find on-site.