Genesis 32 Iconics

Bill Brasky

Hello everyone,

Anyone ever used Genesis 32 to some extent that would be able to offer any features and benefits as it compares to any other solutions that you may have used. Also if anyone can elaborate on the runtime tags benefit. I heard something like just because you have a 5000 tag package of another software you wont need that many for Genesis because it will only have the page displayed as the runtime tags or something???

Thanks

Had a look at it some time ago and went back to Citect. Same result when I used FIX Dynamics, Factory Link, Wizcon - went back to Citect and paid the money.

Bill

Iconics communicates via an OPC server, which means that only the tags required for the current display are used. If you had a display with 20 tags, it only needs to read those tags and not any others on the system.

There are exceptions of course: Alarms and trending tags need to be read quite frequently, so these tags need to be added to the total tag count.

Taking the above 20 tag display example on a system with 100 alarms and 30 trends, the total tag count would be 150. If you switch to a display with 70 tags, the count would go up to 200.

Hope this helps.

Bill,

I believe what you're referring to regarding the tags is how Iconics licenses their product. If I'm not mistaken, their licensing scheme is based only on the number of I/O tags in your project(tags that reference a PLC data point), where other vendors license based on total number of tags, including memory type tags but excluding system tags.

I've never used Iconics, but for some reason this little tidbit stuck in my mind.

HTH,
Jeff

watch for the sofkey

I have been using this for 3 years. It has a lot of power for
a SCADA and a real over kill for a HMI. I currently have several 300 tag packages on our machines, I wish I had more tags. It will require at least WIN 2K or XP pro. Also If I were you I spend the extra money and get an external hard key. The software key is a pain if your computer crashes. I have been burnt here several times. It's Ok as long as you keep your support up, but with 25+
GET THE HARD KEY this is very costly. This is available in USB my are Parallel, ASK the GEEKS at Best Buy for a Parallel Port on a computer and see what kind of answer you get. If I had it to do over, I would look for something else, but I given this project in mid stream. However I can say this, I have not found anything I can not do with it Yet.

As for the tags, it is correct that the only active tags are the ones on the current display + alarms tags + trending.

I hope this helps

AJ