Good/Simple/Low cost Flowmeter for PLC?

Martindag

We currently use Watermeter controller here with paddleswitch type of flowmeter to keep the tracking of the water quantity we use in our batch, but eventualy i would like to send all my flowmeter to a PLC instead.

So im looking for a good, not so expension option that would be easy to deal with for this purpose.

If you have any product that you use often or like to work with that is prety simple and low cost, i would appreciate your feedback, Thank you!

I'm not sure what you currently have, or what you are looking for. Do you currently have a PLC? Why can't you connect the existing water meter to it?

Are you looking for a new water meter, or a PLC to read the water meters?

You should probably be more concerned with getting a flowmeter that is best for your batching process application. Most will have mA or pulse outputs so connecting to a PLC isn't unique. Spend the money on a quality flowmeter to ensure your process is accurate and repeatable, not whats best for a PLC.

For some of our application we use endress & hauser flowmeter which have a Analog output 4-20ma to send all my data for my PLC

But the other one that we use are paddlewheel meter which is pulsing.

These type are pulsing directly to their controller, and for a low cost if possible i would like to find a option to put these in a PLC input or completly buy a new type if needed to do it, this way i wont need anymore these controller and would have a better flexibility.

This topic comes up frequently here. You can put a pulse signal from a flow meter directly into a PLC. If the frequency is low a regular discrete input will work, but for higher frequency you will need a high speed counter input. The value of "low" and "high" frequency will depend on the PLC brand and I/O card specs.

The pulses generally represent a specific volume (say 1 gallon per pulse). If you have a high speed counter input simple math converts that to flow rate. If you use a discrete input then you need a timer and a counter in your logic to calculate flow rate, but again it is simple math. You need to verify the output with your flow meter supplier or the specs on existing units.

Awsome thanks ! After i saw your post i did some search and i can buy a transmiter that i can put on my paddlewheel that will do all the conversion that i need and low down my pulsing if i want to and be able to change my K factor and all

Thanks for the help