GT designer3: conditional text display...

Mas01

In GT designer 3, the rig operator wants me to display a text string on the screen when a bit goes TRUE, and make it disappear when the bit goes FALSE. This is for a water level which is <20mm which is below the level of the diaphragm in the sensor. They don't want a lamp or an alarm, just some text e.g. "LOW" next to the mm level.

I can add text to the screen easily, but I don't know how to "trigger" the text on a Boolean value.

Anyone know?

I can't specifically speak to GT Designer, but in most HMI software I've used, you can tie the visibility of an element to the boolean state of a tag. There may be a way to do this by doing a compare in GT Designer, but in AB terms, I would do a greater than comparison, comparing the value to 20mm (or however it's scaled) and have this trigger a bit in memory when the value is above 20mm. I would then add this tag to the HMI tag list and tie the visibility of your text to this bit being true.

For GT Designer specific instructions, maybe search for "GT Designer conditional visibility" or something along those lines.

EDIT: In FactoryTalk (AB) and other HMI software I've used, you can typically right click on the element you want to have conditional visibility for and there is often something like "Visibility >" and you can then edit the properties that will cause the element to be visible or not.

Last edited:
Simple just Select bit comment display on the right hand menu, this has a speech balloon (6th one down), then place it on the screen as required, change it's size to suit, set it as a Bit type then put in the text when the bit turns on it becomes visible in runtime. you can also do word comments where you have multiple texts. Select the comment tag & put the text there

Text Display.png

Simple just Select bit comment display on the right hand menu, this has a speech balloon (6th one down), then place it on the screen as required, change it's size to suit, set it as a Bit type then put in the text when the bit turns on it becomes visible in runtime. you can also do word comments where you have multiple texts. Select the comment tag & put the text there
Brilliant, thanks for this. It works a treat.
Even though I've got the GT designer 3 manual I couldn't find what I wanted, partly due to the English not being clear. I was getting frustrated just fishing around in GTD3 and thought it might be something to do with the "ASCii Display" icon (4th icon down).

Thanks parky/mylespetro

Last edited:
Yes the chinenglish translations are not very good, there are many things you can do if you poke around, for example change the colour, make it blink etc.
If you use a word comment it is essentially a list selector i.e. you create a list of comments then assign a value to each comment so effectively you have text based on a value in the word.
For example, used to display current conditions of a batch system.
if using a variable where it is used to sequence through a process in steps of say 10 i.e.
0 = IDLE
10 = Starting UP
20 = Adding ingredient X
30 = Checking if in limits
40 = Mixing.
50 = Discharge
then if you do the simple scripts it displays the above depending on the value in the sequence word.

Word comment.png

Yes the chinenglish translations are not very good, there are many things you can do if you poke around, for example change the colour, make it blink etc.
If you use a word comment it is essentially a list selector i.e. you create a list of comments then assign a value to each comment so effectively you have text based on a value in the word.
For example, used to display current conditions of a batch system.
if using a variable where it is used to sequence through a process in steps of say 10 i.e.
0 = IDLE
10 = Starting UP
20 = Adding ingredient X
30 = Checking if in limits
40 = Mixing.
50 = Discharge
then if you do the simple scripts it displays the above depending on the value in the sequence word.
Useful stuff, this. I'll keep that in the back pocket for future use. Thanks