HARDY load cell controller to QUANTUM

karivelm

Does anybody know what material I will need on the PLC side to communicate with a Hardy controller ?

Hardy says Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP, Devicenet & Profibus are supported with a HI-4050 controller.

The PLC this will be connected to is a Quantum 140-CPU-213-04 on a modbus plus network...

Will I need to use a special communication card in the QUANTUM to get the communication going ?

Since the Hardy doesn't list ModbusPlus, you have some other options:

an 140NOE771 xx will do ModbusTCP
an 140NOC771 01 will do Ethernet/IP and Modbus/TCP

My personal preference is ethernet, and ModbusTCP is simpler than Ethernet/IP, so I would buy an NOE and ethernet switch (prefer managed switch here) and go that route. There are other ways to solve this problem, but this is what I would do.

I will have two of these systems, so I guess 1 140-NOE771-11 card will do... I will connect it to a switch and then connect to each of my HI-4050 controllers?

Do you have any idea where I can get info to know how to interface between this card and the controler...(Programming - How do I send and get info from the controler)

I will have two of these systems, so I guess 1 140-NOE771-11 card will do... I will connect it to a switch and then connect to each of my HI-4050 controllers?

Yes. This sounds right - but two systems... is that two Hardy controllers connected to one PLC (one NOE), or are they separate PLC/Hardy systems, in which case you will need two NOEs, one for each system.

Do you have any idea where I can get info to know how to interface between this card and the controler...(Programming - How do I send and get info from the controler)

The NOE documentation is on the Schneider Electric website. Without looking at the Hardy controller documentation, I would start with IOScanning on the the NOE to the Hardy devices. There are other ways to do it, but this requires no PLC code, just some configuration.

Did you check the Hardy website for documentation? They have to have a table of Modbus registers somewhere and what they contain... so you know what to enter in the NOE.

1. Setup the network with IP addresses and such
2. Look up the information you want from the Hardy controller and find what the IP address is and what registers contain that information.
3. Enter the information from (2) in the IOscanner table

The data then just 'appears' at the PLC registers you setup. Works pretty well.

This isn't much detail, but if you find the information I described we can get more specific about what goes where.