Help finding a product: Wireless handheld personal alarm reciver

kas_

K
Hi all :)

I am looking for a wireless personal alarm reciver, with a transmitter to be activated by PLC output. The reciver must run on batterys.

The task is. I need to alert Wheel Loader machin drivers when it`s unsafe to drive near a melting furnace.

I have tried a pagersystem APA 100 as linked under, but the sound was`t good enough.
http://www.micropower.no/contents/no/p64.html
APA100.jpg

Do anybody know about a good handheld alarmer with a transmitter with binary input?

Last edited:
Hi mvaughan.

No that would take to long time to send(delay) and I don`t think they will hear it. Its very noisy inn the cab.

Because it will also be a Panic alarm, so the driver have to reverse the machin as fast as they can out of danger.

But thanks for your feedback :)

Hi flowdam. Thanks for the feedback.

I have looked at banner my self. And It could work.

But the operators wants a handheld one, as a pager type device. As the driver have to sign out inn the controlrom, because the operators use different wheel loader machines time to time.

So I hoped someone had encounter this scenario them self, and have found a good product.

But I`m open for suggestions.

So thanks again for the feedback :)

I have used this company's products in the past and have been very pleased. Everything I've used has been custom made so even though they don't show what you're asking for on their site, they could likely make it for you.

http://www.bwieagle.com/

Hi flowdam. Thanks for the feedback.

I have looked at banner my self. And It could work.

But the operators wants a handheld one, as a pager type device. As the driver have to sign out inn the controlrom, because the operators use different wheel loader machines time to time.

So I hoped someone had encounter this scenario them self, and have found a good product.

But I`m open for suggestions.

So thanks again for the feedback :)

No problem kas, guess I don't understand why the warning device needs to go with the operator. Looks like something they could lose or damage if they carry it around, but maybe you have to warn them even when they are not on the wheel loader? Or is it too expensive to retrofit every wheel loader with the warning system?

shawn_75 Thank you for the replay :)

flowdam. This was the request from the operator, sow I would try too find a device on the marked. But it don`t look that good.

I agree with all your statements.
And I think I have to make a 12V alarm with wireless I\O nodes, for I have given up searching for a handheld one.
So I gonna check out prices of WL nodes next week :)

Because it will also be a Panic alarm, so the driver have to reverse the machin as fast as they can out of danger.
This statement makes me think that a very loud alarm or siren at the machine might be the best answer. What about other people besides just the Wheel Loader machine drivers? They would be in danger, too, yes?

Steve

This statement makes me think that a very loud alarm or siren at the machine might be the best answer. What about other people besides just the Wheel Loader machine drivers? They would be in danger, too, yes?

Steve

Hi Steve.

Its no danger for other peoples. Because the furnace is above a closed "garage", And in this "garage" onely the wheel loader opens the door and shovel up waste from the furnace from time to time. And if eg. a emergency button is pushed the melting will go inn the "garage", the driver must be alerted so he can drive out.
They Have tried fixed light inn the "garge" but its to hot to survive for a long time.
And a fixed LOUD sirene would do the work. But the plant is next to houses, so the just complaine off lack of sleep.

Sow I think I gona make permanent alarms\indicators inn the machines.

Sounds like a hell of a job. Dont drive fast enough, get burned alive.

Is there something you can change with how the system reacts to emergency stops if the "garage" door is open? Does it have to pour liquid metal on the driver below?

This situation happens often enough that the neighbours would complain? Couldn't the siren go off only when the door is open? They live beside a factory, I think they should get used to loud noises or move, lol.

shawn_75 Thank you for the replay :)

flowdam. This was the request from the operator, sow I would try too find a device on the marked. But it don`t look that good.

I agree with all your statements.
And I think I have to make a 12V alarm with wireless I\O nodes, for I have given up searching for a handheld one.
So I gonna check out prices of WL nodes next week :)

It's very interesting to here how problems around the world are not so different from your own. One of the things I've had to learn, sometimes the hard way, is that as the engineer you have to take everyone's opinion of the best solution into account, but end the end you have to go with the solution that makes the most sense. Alot of times that is a middle ground between what production wants, what maintenance wants, and what management wants.

Good luck! 🍺

And if eg. a emergency button is pushed, the melting will go in the "garage", then the driver must be alerted so he can drive out.
Kas,
You should also consider how to eliminate the safety problem, so that no alarm is needed. Can you delay the dump to the garage until all wheel loaders are clear? This might only require a switch to show when the garage door is open, or it could be a photoswitch outside that looks into the garage to see if a wheel loader is blocking the beam. Perhaps you only need to allow the door to open if there is no dump in the next X minutes.

The best safety solution is to eliminate the dangerous condition, not just work around it.

Last edited:
we use bright flashing red lights (I have seen a lot of hearing impaired drivers but never a blind one). not to say that this would solve the problem but i dont think it would hurt in addition to added safety switches, better safety prodcures and all the good ideas in the posts above. I like to think of these things in two ways, first the safety aspect then the llegal aspect it makes you think twice about the logic you use to solve the issue. a suggestion though if you go the wireless route make sure it is fail safe IE: sounds on loss of comms, and battery failure but wouldn't that require a backup battery in each remote horn. I would think twice about that one. hope this has been helpfull, Steve