Help on ControlLogix & PV+ 1250 Communication

yuanlong

Hi,

I'm a student currently working for experience in a Power Generating computer. My currently project to to have 2 ControlLogix, 1 PV+, 1 SLC and some other small devices to communicate with each other.

Currently I'm trying to make one of the ControlLogix to talk to the PV+ but was unsuccessfull. The setting of my ControlLogix is as below:
-1756-PZ72/B(10 Slots) (Name: Test_Station)
--1756-OB16D/A
--1756-L55/A (VER 13)
--1756-IB16D/A
--1756-CNB/D
--1756-OB32/A
--EMPTY
--1756-ENET/B
--1756-OF6VI/A
--1756-IF6I/A
--1756-DHRIO/C

I'm trying to communicate the Test_Station with the PV+ using direct ethernet connection(Cross Cable). My current setup is PC--DF1--L55/A-ENET/B--Ethernet--PV+

However, I'm not able to setup both in RSView ME as well as RSLogix5000 for the devices to talk to each other. Is there anything I'll have to do before I can get both machine to talk to each other?

Note1: TCP/IP Details
Test_station IP :192.168.1.10
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.1.1

PanelView Plus IP :192.168.1.5
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.1.1

Note2: I'm able to upload a runtime application to PV+ using the crosscable to connect my PC. And in RSLinx Classic, the PanelView has been detected through ENET/B without any error.

Thanks in advance

RSLinx Enterprise has two different "network schema"; Local and Target. These are shown in separate tabs in the RSLinx Enterprise configuration.

The Local schema is used by RSView Studio. The Target schema is used by RSView ME Runtime, both on the development computer and on the PV+ terminal itself.

For EtherNet/IP applications where both the development PC and the PV+ terminal are on the same IP subnet, these two schemas can be the same.

Use the "COPY" button to copy the Local schema into the Target schema.

Also be sure to select "apply project communication configuration" when you download the project to the PV+ terminal.

Hmm maybe I should put it this way. I'm trying to get some input datas from Test_station to be display on PV+. However I can't get to use any Test_Station's Tags in RSView. And in RSLogix 5000, I've added PV+ as a new module under ENET/B as Ethernet-PanelView with all the IP correctly setup. However when I go online with the controller, the Ethernet-PanelView module would give an I/O error:
(Code 16#0315)Connection Request Error: Invalid segment type.

PS, I've just re-download a newer version of runtime into PV+ with both Test_Station & PV+ setup under EtherNet Driver in Target Schema.

yuanlong said:
Hmm maybe I should put it this way. I'm trying to get some input datas from Test_station to be display on PV+. However I can't get to use any Test_Station's Tags in RSView. And in RSLogix 5000, I've added PV+ as a new module under ENET/B as Ethernet-PanelView with all the IP correctly setup. However when I go online with the controller, the Ethernet-PanelView module would give an I/O error:
(Code 16#0315)Connection Request Error: Invalid segment type.

PS, I've just re-download a newer version of runtime into PV+ with both Test_Station & PV+ setup under EtherNet Driver in Target Schema.

Sorry that I've asked an stupid question, it seems like RSLinx Classic is fighting over the connection with RSLinx Enterprise which is why I couldn't add any controller tag in.

Now that I've properly setup the connections, I'm able to add offline or online controller tags. However when i try to compile a runtime application or test run the application it gives me an error that say "Unable to save Tag Database".

Anybody could give me some guidances or even refer me to any manual that I might have missed out? Thanks

You're going to have to work probably with RSI Tech Support to get your RSView Studio errors sorted out, but I wanted to dash in to the thread to say two things:

1. Get an Ethernet switch and connect up your PC, the PV+, and the ControlLogix all at once. It will be inexpensive and hugely more convenient.

2. Delete the PanelView from the I/O tree of RSLogix 5000. That connection is for Standard PanelView terminals, not PanelView Plus terminals and will interfere with the PV+ operation.

WOW where do I start, Configuring rslinx enterprise connections withen the rsview studio ME software is an amazing beast. Rockwell has given us the ability to access multiple systems throughout the connected network as well as giving us direct access to the tags but configuring it correctly can be frustrating. You must learn this first and foremost.

Start as Ken said buy plugging your computer, Contrologix, and panelview into a switch. Make sure your computer is configured with a fixed IP in the same family as the PLC and PV.

Within the rsview studio software communications tab add the ENET card and the Panelview plus. Then go to RSLinx enterprise communications and with the local tab selected create a shortcut with any name and drill through the Enet card to the processor and highlight the processor. Then make sure you press Apply. Then use the copy funtion to copy the local path to the target path.

If you do all this correctly then you can create a runtime and download it to the PV. Just remember once your panelview plus runtime file executes it has to use this path to find the PLC processor. Your setup should be straight forward. Here where I work we have 3 levels of ethernet communications and the paths can be very complicated.

Good Luck.

Ken Roach said:
You're going to have to work probably with RSI Tech Support to get your RSView Studio errors sorted out, but I wanted to dash in to the thread to say two things:

1. Get an Ethernet switch and connect up your PC, the PV+, and the ControlLogix all at once. It will be inexpensive and hugely more convenient.

2. Delete the PanelView from the I/O tree of RSLogix 5000. That connection is for Standard PanelView terminals, not PanelView Plus terminals and will interfere with the PV+ operation.

1. I'll try to get hold on an Ethernet switch, but can't really make the decision on purchasing as I'm only sort of part time student worker.

2. I've figured that's the case and had already removed it.

Now having a new problem arised. I can't get PV+ to retrieved data from Test_Station. I don't think I really know how I should setup the communication settings as well as how/which tags to use.

Currently my system communication settings is set as below:

Local Tab

Workstation
- Backplane
- DF1, Serial
- 1756-L55/A,0
- Ethernet
- PanelView Plus 1250, 192.168.1.5
- ENET/B, 192.168.1.10
-Backplane
- 1756-L55/A

Target Tab
Workstation
- Backplane
- Ehternet
- PanelView Plus 1250, 192.168.1.5
- ENET/B, 192.168.1.10
-Backplane
- 1756-L55/A <---

Shortcut
PLC (Pointing to where <--- is)

So is this setting correct or did I make any mistake. If this setting is correct, how should I get an input from Test_station. Say a DC output from Slot0, #0.

bobwithdana
Thanks for the guide, however as I've said above I don't think I won't be able to get a Ethernet switch anytime soon. However I'll have to get the job done best before 5th Feb. So could you let me know of a way that maybe I could setup the thing to run without using a switch?

I have did some ladder programming before, but to connect a PLC within a network is like an UFO to me so I'm sorry if I do ask some silly questions.

PS: I'm currently at home so the setting that I've wrote above are what I could still recall(after a whole day of trying to make them talk :( ).

Thanks for all the help given, now I'm able to established a connection within CotnrolLogix and PV+.

This really a good technical forum, the best that I've encounter and you guys are really helpfull. Thanks alot!

A friend of mine come up with a question which I'm not very sure of. The question is, "Is it possible if we could make the PV+ to fetched and display an update version of an image file from a workstation every 5 mins?"

With my current knowledge I would think it's no, but my knowledge is no where close to all you experts out there. So I just like to know if it's possible? If it is possible, what kind of setup whould I need? And how would I make in RSView Studio to ask the PV+ to fetch and display the new image every 5 mins?

Thanks

tom_stalcup said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "updated image". What kind of image are you attempting to display?

Say I have a screenshot of a current details on the National Electricity Market and it will have a newer version(or update) available every 5 mins reflecting the newest market informations.

you can update the information with alphanumaric characters through opc to the PLC then to PV+

you can not display the image file in the PC