HELP with AB 5000

when i get online from the 5000 i can access the sub programs of the 5/05 so all i need to do is configure the ethernet drive for the 5000 and ill be perfect

yes i have the program. I keep trying to configure the driver through rslinx but while on the RSwho tab the module never shows up

Lets back up a step. Your original post stated that you were able to get online with the 5000 series controller and the 500 series controller. If the controller does not show up in RSLinx you would not have been able to connect to both.

At the most basic level, you need to figure out what your network is.

What is your ultimate goal?
What is the model/brand of your ethernet switch?
In reference to one of your questions, generally you will not have IP addresses for your switches.
You should also find out if the switch is managed or unmanaged.
What is the purpose of the connection between the two PLCs?
Is your switch connected to your company's intranet?
What CPU do you have in the 5000 rack?
Look at the IP setting for you ethernet card on your PC.
What are your settings?
What are the settings in the config of the RSLogix500 program?
What are the settings in the config of the RSLogix5000 program?

Do the subnets match?
Is their a gateway defined?

Have you ever "pinged" before?
This can be done through a Dos window or invoked from the run line in your windows start bar.

You can also try just opening a web browser and typing in the IP address of the device.

Can you confirm that you have an ENBT module in your 5000 rack so that we can rule out that you have some other sort of gateway to some other sort of fieldbus connecting the two.

The more specific information you can provide the better we will be able to help.

yes i have the program. I keep trying to configure the driver through rslinx but while on the RSwho tab the module never shows up

when i get online from the 5000 i can access the sub programs of the 5/05 so all i need to do is configure the ethernet drive for the 5000 and ill be perfect

Unless this is some neat and cool feature I have never heard of before, I am not aware of any way to view RSLogix 5000 programs in RSLogix500 or visa-versa. I think you are trying to do something that can't be done.

goal-get online on the 5000 via ethernet
module-1756-enbt
switch-hirschmann and ethertrak
cpu-logix 5561

i typed in the ip address form the module in the address bar and got nothing. looks like im in way overmy head... sorry for the trouble

So, open RSLogix 5000, open the program that is running in the 5561, then select communications, then "who active" from the list, then pick the enbt card on the ethernet network. It should have a plus sign next to it, keep drilling down until you see the processor, then click "online"

goal-get online on the 5000 via ethernet
module-1756-enbt
switch-hirschmann and ethertrak
cpu-logix 5561

i typed in the ip address form the module in the address bar and got nothing. looks like im in way overmy head... sorry for the trouble

Lets start as basic as possible then and work our way from the bottom. You stated the ENBT module's IP was displayed as

I would first check to see what you PC setting are. Depending on what version of windows you have, they are found in different spots. maybe you can get one of you IT guys to help you find it. It is under the TCP/IP settings for you LAN card. Hopefully you PC will have something like 100.101.2.XXX where XXX is something other that the other nodes on the net.

Then, got to the start bar in windows and click on RUN.
You will get a command prompt like thing.
type in PING 100.101.2.3

or even better

go to accessories, command prompt, and then type in
PING 100.101.2.3.

If that doesn't work, all the time in the world spent in RSLinx won't help you.

while in the command propt, you can also type in Ipconfig

This will also show you what your PC settings are.

I don't quite follow this, so maybe you need to understand some of the basic terminology. Damian has done an admirable job of getting your hardware on the same page so after you have your IP addresses straight you will need to make sure you have your software straight. There are 3 pieces of software for doing what you want to do.

The first is RSLinx. Where you were doing your RSwho. This is solely a communications software that allows you to communicate to just about any Allen Bradley device. But in your case, to do that, you need to configure a driver if one is not already chosen. I believe the SLC 5/05 is an ethernet IP device. If so, you can choose the Ethernet/ IP diver from the Configure Drivers menu and click on "Add New...". Click Ok when the name box comes up and then click Browse Local Subnet and highlight the network connection you want to use which should show the IP Address Damian was working with you on. Click OK and then go back to RSWho and Click on the driver you just made. This should allow you to see both the SLC5/05 and the ControlLogix 5561. Some AB devices will be Ethernet, but not necessarily Ethernet IP. With those you would pick the generic "Ethernet Devices" driver then add the IP addresses of all the items on your network- including your computer.

Once you are seeing both processors you will have to go into two different pieces of software to look at what's going on in them or make any changes to the programs. The ControlLogix uses RSLogix5000 software and the SLC uses RSLogix 500 software.

Anywhere you have an open port on your network should allow you to communicate via Ethernet to these two processors. But you only be able to "get online" with each processor separately through the two above mentioned programming software platforms.

Hopefully this helps. Let us know if you need more.

Just noticed that your goal was only to get online with the 5000 so you would only need 2 pieces of software. But if you ever wanted to get online with the SLC 5/05 then you would need the RSLogix 500 software.

Good Luck.