Help with getting my AB Ultra 200 to move using step/direction from PTO

loundeb2

Hi,
I posted not long ago regarding my setup. I took some recommendations, but I'm stuck good.
Sorry if it's lengthy.
I have an AB Ultra 200 PDM-030 servo drive configured with IQ Master to use encoder2 inputs #11&12 for step and #8&13 for direction. I have GEAR=ON in Feedback Config. In the have 6.1VDC pulsed from the PTO of my Micrologix 1500bxb. I can run the servo without any problem through IQMaster. I have it enabled and ready. When I cycle the PTO logic, I can see in the Variables Monitor window, Pos2 slowly climbing and Vel2 ramp up and stay steady, but there is no motion from the motor. I disabled the drive and ran encoder diagnostics, I could see the pulses incrementing. I tried a multitude of various configuration changes, but nothing. I'm going to rebuild the motor encoder cable ends tomorrow because I don't think Hall was connected. Don't know if it matters.

Any ideas?
Thank You,
Lou

Hi,
I'm using this setup for a press feed (ServoMaxII to be exact). It's using an AB H4075-R-00AA servo motor without brake. I might be able to attach the rss file, I'll try to attach the qps file from the IQMaster.

It has been awhile since I used the Ultra 200, and I have not done the mode you are using, so these are just educated guesses.

If you can run the drive from Ultramaster software, then it's likely your motor feedback cable is just fine.

It sounds like you have not selected the mode of operation you need for your external hardwired controls.

Is the drive enable input okay? Can you monitor it from the drive software and see its state?

It could also be a scaling issue with the pulses. Maybe the motor is running extremely slow?

IIRC, there is a mode override feature that can be tied to an input. Perhaps you can set up a mode that simply causes the motor to run at a preset velocity, and wire that to a spare SLC output. Then you could at least verify that the drive works with from its external wiring and perhaps get some idea what sort of numbers you should be seeing in the monitor window for velocity commands.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks.The software I have to use is IQMaster which I got from the AB tech. dept. I'm thinking your right about the scaling, but can't pinpoint which specific parameter/s to alter. I can run the motor using the Run Control. I do see encoder2 incrementing and velocity2 at the frequency sent by the PTO. I have only the enable input enabled in software and is on when mobitoring. The drive status stays at "Ready", "Enabled", and "In Position" when being pulsed. I tried using the Start input to no avail.

I think you must have a hard wired enable to run the drive (without software)...I could be wrong, but it seems I remember that...

Yes, looking at the manual, I read on page 6-5 pertaining to the enable input pin J1-20 "Enables and disables the drive. Motor torque cannot be applied unless the ENABLE input is active."

EDIT: link to manual:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1398-um000_-en-p.pdf

Read starting on page 8-17 the "position follower" example. This should help you figure out what is going wrong.

Last edited:
I have not used IQMaster. The last software I recall using was Ultramaster. There were several places to set up the controlling parameters.

There were forward and reverse current limits, a place to choose how to scale the drive raw counts into engineering units (or not).

And there was place to set the number of motor encoder counts per engineering unit. I think that would be the place to start.

I'm not sure if this is going to help though...IQMaster might be very similar to UltraMaster. Seems I recall there's a free version of Ultramaster out there somewhere (or is that Ultraware?).

Last edited:
From the manual okie linked:
• In the Parameter menu, Feedback Configuration, dialog box select Step and Direction.
• If required, set (SLEW) and enable (SLEWEN) a slew rate limit. Default values may be set in the
Parameter menu, Velocity/Acceleration dialog box.
• Set (GEAR) and enable (GEAREN) the gear