Help with getting my AB Ultra 200 to move using step/direction from PTO

IQMaster is used with Reliance Electrocraft series servo units.
DOS based but the latest rev could run under win3.1 or so.
PDM030 also is a Reliance number (30A peak unit).
*.QPS filename is a valid IQ Master file name.
You have to set up as stated above as well as write (loops) programs for your functions.
There's also a bunch of Initialize, E-Stop , Recover and such programs that could be included as part of your main program.
Think of these as sub-routines executed when called.
Haven't touched it in ages but had to do modifications on some units in the field.
Use an old PC if you have one as the newer ones and newer win versions freeze and perform illegal operations when attempting to run IQMaster under windows.
I believe a win2000 pc will be no problem, anything newer won't probably work.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I'm running WinXP on an old laptop with no problems. I did swap the drive with an ElectroCraft IQ2000, but ran into the same problem. I have a feeling I need to run a program with a gear ratio because although GEAR can be enabled/disabled in IQMaster, there is no place to enter the ratio except within in a program.

Look for program numbers such as 22, 20, etc.
You may alrteady have something in there that will work for a GEAR function.
I believe you need an intelligent unit to perform cams and gears and such.

Got it moving

Hi to all,
I finally got the motor to move with the step pulses. I had to enter "Gear = #" and build, save, and run it into a basic program. However, I started the pulse rate from the PTO at 300Hz. I ran Auto Tune, configured Pos1 as feedback reference, selected STEP&DIR., GEAREn is selected. I have Pos2 latched to the hardware, no slew rate. I have velocity set at minutes with 3000 max.
At 300Hz from the PTO the motor turns slowly until the step is complete. When I upped the PTO Hz to 800, the motor turned a little faster, but definitely not 800RPM. I also noted that the step took less time and the distance moved was also shorter.
I have the elect gear ratio set at 30.00. How can I balance the motor to move with the steps more closely while also maintaining the speed.
Thank You,
Lou

I know I am late

Is this for a stamping press roll feeder? I think you said Servo Max right? IIRC those where from CWP. Everyone on them I have worked with there setup for indexing mode. We didn't use any pulse follower we used preset lenghts , accel, decel, & velocity . Then just triggered indexes from contact closure.
what is the PTO for? Are you using a transfer press? What user interface does that have on it? Is it a small "Dominator" or the larger display with blue vacuum tube displayes? 15732 use to change the rotating direction of those feeders.

I am on a cell phone so I couldn't download you pqm file. Where did you get that file? Those numbers bring back some hint of a memory, but it has been several years. We can talk about that offline.
I am currently quoting 7 replacemens for servo feeds. 3 of them are old IQ masters.

Hi Jeff,
Yes, the feeder was a CWP unit. I'm using the drive and feeder to feed a prepunch/shear press on new rollform line. It originally had a CWP 5VDC HMI with 25pin to 15pin COM connector. I'm using a PLC and Panelview component HMI to perform the length, speed, batching interfacing. The user can input a length and the PTO will output a pulse to match. Right now I have the speed set and the feed lengths are consistant. But if I change the PTO frequency(servo speed Hz), the length of material moved also changes even though the number of pulses hasn't changed.
I have a 2000line motor encoder x 4=8000PPR, 1 revolution of the motor = 2" of travel between the feeder pinch rolls, I have the GEAR ratio set to 30. I have the input length scaled to pulses by multiplying it by 117.
What I think I need to do is get the motor to follow the pulses more closely so the pulses and frequency equalize. I know there are many parameters to accomplish this and it's my first time using STEP/DIR, so I'm learning as fast as I can, but need some help with simplifying the formulas necessary to accomplish what I need.
Thank You,
Lou

I would use the lenght, Accel, decel and velocity built in the drive and send info to/from the PLC.
You might want to look at the life span of that drive is IIRC it is 2 or 3 generations old so you could be in for a rough time if it dies.

Last edited:
I agree. This drive is outdated, but I had to use what I had on hand at the time. We have 6 feeders with a variety of Electrocraft BRU200 and IQ2000 drives.
I will use Ultra3000 drives and set up ethernet between the drive, HMI and PLC in the future, for now though, I'm stuck with the current setup and it's limitations.

Do you have the PQM programs. You can upload the compiled hex code out of those drives. I think they loaded the compiled version with out source so you couldn't get anything that you or I could use.

When I do a factory initialization of the personality module, there are a bunch of useable sample programs with source codes that are meant to interface with the AB HMI's and I'm able to upload and save any parameter/s,(executable,source,RAM,etc.).

My network connection is slow today. It will have to wait until later to download it. check you messages int the top right hand of this page