Help with simple practical SCADA demo

aap

Hi folks,
Disclaimer: I'm a PLC newbie! :D

I need to create a small and cheap PLC/SCADA demo, where the underlying idea is to experience with security of SCADA.

My idea would be to have
- a proximity sensor: probably an inductive prox sensor as they seem cheaper. So it'll detect if I put some metal close to it.
- a PLC, to be programmed
- a on/off switch: to power on/off [reset] the demo
- two light bulbs or LEDs one green, one red.

Whenever I put some metal close to the sensor, the green bulb lights.
After 10 times, the red one lights.
Or something like that.

Now, in practice:
- there are inductive proximity sensors around $17 at AutomationDirect.
- Koyo DirectLogic DL05 also seems relatively cheap at AutomationDirect, or I could perhaps find a second hand one.
- to program the PLC, I need a cable D2-DSCL

Q1. How do I connect the proximity sensor to the PLC? Do I need a specific cable? :confused:

Q2. How do I connect the PLC to the two red/green LEDs? :confused:

Q3. My scenario lacks usage of ModBus or DNP3... which would be great testing. Any ideas to evolve it?

Thanks
-- Aap

Thanks, I had read the manuals, but I guess I don't understand them fully.

In my case, the sensor is NPN so it must be connected to a current sourcing input.

Now in chap2 of the manual, they explain the wiring, but I miss the basics :(

"wiring" = I just put a wire between the input and I solder ???? or else ?
"supply" = is that a shortcut for power supply ? or else ?

Thanks, actually, my question was more about wiring and I found the answer here:
http://plchowto.com/wiring-plcs/

Though I still don't know what kind of wire I should be buying. Sorry for the silly question but does Arduino-like breadboard wire work? or do I need something else?

Also, where can I get a suitable 12-24 VDC power supply?

Thanks!

This sounds more like a PLC example, not a SCADA example.

Most panels are built with 14awg stranded blue wire, but the actual gauge you use depends on the nearest branch circuit rated interupt device (fuse / breaker).

AutomationD would probably be the best bet for a cheap power supply.

This sounds more like a PLC example, not a SCADA example.

Yes, you're right. But if I want to supervise anything, I've got to start with this, haven't I?

AutomationD would probably be the best bet for a cheap power supply.

Ok, I found for instance CLICK C0-00AC, which is a 24VDC power supply at $ 29.
My understanding is that you plug that into your own power source.

Most panels are built with 14awg stranded blue wire, but the actual gauge you use depends on the nearest branch circuit rated interupt device (fuse / breaker).

I found hookup wire at $ 33 at Automation Direct, but I find that a bit expensive (half the price of the PLC !), and I certainly don't need that length of wire... Any idea where I would get cheaper wires (if possible in Europe) ?

Thanks !