Help with the sequencer (sqo)

drbenne

It's actually the SQO data table that i am having trouble with. According to my text book and several posts read on the internet additional integer tables can be created such as #N9:0, #N10:0, #N11:0 ... and so on. However, the only tables that I can create are just #N7:0 and #B3:0 which is letting me only program 2 unique tables. I, however, need much more.

Also, I am unable to change the time base from 0.1

I'm pretty sure that time base is sufficient for my application but i would like to know how that can be changed because i've seen some examples with different time bases.

I am using LogixPro to do my programming if that helps. And if it's logixpro that's not letting me make those changes which program will allow me to that? Thanks!

Dave

It's actually the SQO data table that i am having trouble with. According to my text book and several posts read on the internet additional integer tables can be created such as #N9:0, #N10:0, #N11:0 ... and so on. However, the only tables that I can create are just #N7:0 and #B3:0 which is letting me only program 2 unique tables. I, however, need much more.

Also, I am unable to change the time base from 0.1

I'm pretty sure that time base is sufficient for my application but i would like to know how that can be changed because i've seen some examples with different time bases.

I am using LogixPro to do my programming if that helps. And if it's logixpro that's not letting me make those changes which program will allow me to that? Thanks!

Dave
Not sure about Logix Pro but
SLC500 using RSLogix500, right click on Data Files (under your project tree), select new and create a new (11,22,24,etc) Integer/Real/Binary or whatever data type file you need.
You can adjust the length of its elements as well.

How about starting by telling us exactly which PLC you are using. N and B files imply that it is an Allen Bradley, but all AB PLCs don't handle things exactly the same.
Also, new Data Tables must be created offline, and downloaded.

Stu......

Dave,

Yes, LogixPro will not allow you to expand the data memory tables, unlike the real RSLogix500 program. Remember, LogixPro is a PLC Simulator program written to emulate RSLogix500. It is very limited when it comes to the amount of space.

Now, it may be that you actually have plenty of room in LogixPro to do what you need to do. Although you cannot expand the B files or the N files, in LogixPro you have 100 words for each one, or 100 x 16 bits or 1600 bits in each of the B3 and N7 files. I have found those spaces to be adequate for all of the LogixPro Student Exercises.

Dave, you need to study the LogixPro Help file for the SQO instruction. (Click on Help, RSLogix Instruction Help, then SQO. Yes, this is the exact same Help file that appears in the Allen-Bradley RSLogix500 real PLC program). Most sequencers are used to generate Output files. Your student PLC probably will not have more than 8 or 16 outputs, so you have plennty of bits to generate several sequencer files for those outputs. Each sequencer file does not have to start in a new memory-file type. You can have several in the B3 file area. For 16 discrete outputs, you could have 100/16 or 6 steps in your sequencer. For 8 outputs you could have 12 steps. You can also use the LogixPro R6, N7,and F8 files for sequencer file space.

Yes, you are correct about the time base. Real SLC 500-series and PLC5 PLCs have several time bases to choose from, but LogixPro is fixed at 0.1 second. However you can convert most of your time ranges to the 0.1 base, except for very short times in the milisecond range, and if you need those kind of times, then it is no longer a student program.

If you need short times and more file space, then it may be that you need to purchase the RSLogix500 software program ($$$$).

Last edited:
Ah! Thank you for clearing that up for me Lancie. Is this the Logixpro from the Learning Pit? I am not familiar with it. How does it stack up? The price seems reasonable, and I know a few people that could benefit from something like this.
All my experience has been with real PLCs in production environments.

Stu.....

Yes, LogixPro is available for purchase at thelearningpit.com.

I think it is a very useful programming aid. I have used it to simulate many real programs. Within limits it does a very good job to let you know if some rungs will work or not. If you want to see sample LogixPro programs, I have posted several in the "Downloads" section of this site as PDF print-outs. LogixPro does not have analog I/O.

How about starting by telling us exactly which PLC you are using. N and B files imply that it is an Allen Bradley, but all AB PLCs don't handle things exactly the same.
Also, new Data Tables must be created offline, and downloaded.

Stu......

it's an AB SLC-500 and I've tried going offline and looking for a new data table option but found nothing.

@Lancie1: I think you are right in that it is no longer a student program, although it is for a graduation project i still need more functions than what Logixpro can handle. I believe my school has a copy of RSLogix500 on hand, ill have to ask

Just a little more background on the project. I am doing a light sequence set to music, 16 outputs, and each step in the sequencer will represent 1/32 beat of music. So with 100 words i am only able to generate at least 100/32= 3 measures of music.

The change in time base would allow me to be able to program a faster tempo although may not be necessary because of a slower tempo song my partner and I chose.

If you're using RSLogix500, look at the left pane where the Controller Properties is displayed. Click on that and tell us what model SLC you have. Some of them have fixed data tables that cannot be increased.

To add a data table (offline), in the left pane, right click on "Data Files" and click "New..." To expand a data table, right click on it and select properties, or double click it and click the properties button at the bottom. On the data file properties dialog box, change the Elements field.

Hope this helps.
Paul

one question there is depending on the procesro 105 elements under the N7: range do you actually need that many entries??? for example
start with n7:0 then say you need 12 steps for the first SQO table. The next Sqo table start at N7:13 for say 30 steps. next one n7:44 for say 10 steps next one start at n7:55 etc.

edit: a better way to look at this is say you need 10 data tables of length 10
start with n7:0 set the sqo length to 10 this will allow you to enter 10 16 bit patterns. start the next table at n7:09 for another 10 length then keep going. This gives you 10 seperate data tables of length 10. Noiced I haven't even used the B3:** tables yet? If your using that many different SQo's yuor biggest problem will come from the limits on R6:0 controls

Last edited:
I am doing a light sequence set to music, with 16 outputs, and each step in the sequencer will represent 1/32 beat of music. So with 100 words I am only able to generate at least 100/32= 3 measures of music.
Yes, creating digital music requires lots of memory storage.

You are not paying attention (or you do not completely understand what I said). It is ONLY LogixPro that has the 100-word limit PER TABLE. LogixPro is NOT a PLC programming software program.

RSLogix IS a PLC programming software program, and has 256 words per data table, and most all SLC processors have at least 5 data tables of length 256 (1280 words/32 = 40 beats of music) that could IN THEORY be used as internal storage space for music sequencer tables, if you do not need any Timers (T4 data table), Counters (C5 table), or Control words (R6 table). I have never seen a program that used those special-purpose tables for something else, but I suppose it would be possible to do that with careful programming. You will not be able to do much with the small Allen-Bradley model SLC500 and SLC501 programmable logic controllers that many schools have for student training. You probably need at least a SLC 5/02, and a SLC 5/03 with 16K of memory, a Micrologix 1200, or 1500, would be my preferred choices for running a music program.

The RSLogix software program will program any of the above hardware PLCs, but as Paul pointed out, the memory space on the smaller SLC models is limited, so will not have enough room for any significant amount of music on those small PLCs. However, You could write your music program for a larger processor using RSLogix, even though you do not have one available to actually test it on.

Last edited:
sorry, i haven't had time to respond, had a very busy weekend. I have this class tonight so i will be reading over everything and trying to ahold of rslogix. But from what i've heard past classes have had trouble getting our trainers to work with rslogix, so that could be a problem, however i will take a look over it tonight.

thank you everyone for your help!

dave

ok, it's a SLC 5/02, 1746-A4. I also got ahold of the manual for the hand held terminal so i guess im going to have to try to program it from there. Any input on this model is appreciated. thanks!

dave

ok, it's a SLC 5/02, 1746-A4. I also got ahold of the manual for the hand held terminal so i guess im going to have to try to program it from there. Any input on this model is appreciated. thanks!

dave

The 5/02 can only do integer math, has 4k of memory/data storage, and has some instruction limitations.

I have never used a handheld programmer, so I have no idea how much work it will be to enter all of the "notes" in your sequencer data file.

I'd suggest that you use the free version of RSLogix to work out the program before you enter it into the SLC by hand. You can post your work here and we can help you refine it and debug it before you exert too much effort with the handheld.

I would consider "writing the music" using excel (or openoffice calc) and let that software convert the binary to decimal for you as well. Then you can enter the decimal data in the SLC much faster. It might be real easy to toggle bits in binary from the handheld, though.

I am not sure where to download the free version, and I know that it only works with certain controllers, but it is easy to switch controller types and they are all so similar in programming (for your application) that it should not make a difference. You can probably search here for "RSLogix Free" and find it.

Good Luck.
Paul

sequencer problom

i had a prob with doing the sequencing thing i had a allen bradly plc hooked up to 7 switches that would activate lights like i could have 1 switch turn on all the lights or some or each switch turn on the light thats above it but i have been wanting to get it were i can flip switch 1 and have the lights flicker on and off like crazy because it would be cool i kinda got them to turn on and off but when they turn on its at the same time i want them to turn on and off at different times and i want it to be at a fast rate.

if anyone knows wat i could do let me know i use rslogix500 and i cant remember the type of plc all i know is that its allen bradly i hope u could give me some help people.