Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum

RS have them in stock; http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plc-a...24F5448267573743D313736312D63626C2D706D303226

Ignore the picture it is "representative of range" not the actual cable itself...

Yes for analog you will need analog sensors as well as the input module. Cheapest is going to be temperature, then level, then conductivity. An industrial conductivity sensor, from the likes of Endress and Hauser, is going to be above £1.2k. Your level sensor will need to be capable of withstanding the caustic solution. Your temp sensor you will get away with a PT100 with a RTD-4-20mA transducer.

RS have them in stock; http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plc-a...24F5448267573743D313736312D63626C2D706D303226

Ignore the picture it is "representative of range" not the actual cable itself...

Yes for analog you will need analog sensors as well as the input module. Cheapest is going to be temperature, then level, then conductivity. An industrial conductivity sensor, from the likes of Endress and Hauser, is going to be above £1.2k. Your level sensor will need to be capable of withstanding the caustic solution. Your temp sensor you will get away with a PT100 with a RTD-4-20mA transducer.
Cheers, I have contacted Mcc Automation, they will send me a price on Monday morning.
I have a temp sensor source already, I just need to check if its compatible. I was going to try a level sender from a cars fuel tank, I don't know yet if it will work?
The caustic probe is gonna be the tricky one. I might have to borrow it!!!!

Regards Padraic.

Car fuel tanks have a float attached to an arm which wipes over a resitive strip. You will need to check the analog input manual to see if it can take a resistive input, it may be only 4-20mA or 0-10v in which case it may still be possible but you will have a bit more work to do.

Car fuel tanks have a float attached to an arm which wipes over a resitive strip. You will need to check the analog input manual to see if it can take a resistive input, it may be only 4-20mA or 0-10v in which case it may still be possible but you will have a bit more work to do.
This is the kind of stuff that has me swamped, would I be right in saying that most industrial standard level probes give an current or voltage analog output? I might see if there is any better way of measuring the tank level.

Yes, industry standard is 0-10V or 4-20mA. In my opinion for your situation the best may be non contact, i.e. an ultrasonic sensor mounted at the top of the tank. Assuming your tank is cylindrical, then volume = P*R^2*H, Height being given by the ultrasonic sensor.

Or you can try get a cheap pressure transducer, mounted at the bottom of the tank, every metre of water gives (off the top of my head IIRC) 100mBar of pressure. But the contact sensor may not like your caustic! And the ultrasonic sensor may not like if your tank is enclosed causing a "caustic cloud" at the top when you start heating...

Yes, industry standard is 0-10V or 4-20mA. In my opinion for your situation the best may be non contact, i.e. an ultrasonic sensor mounted at the top of the tank. Assuming your tank is cylindrical, then volume = P*R^2*H, Height being given by the ultrasonic sensor.

Or you can try get a cheap pressure transducer, mounted at the bottom of the tank, every metre of water gives (off the top of my head IIRC) 100mBar of pressure. But the contact sensor may not like your caustic! And the ultrasonic sensor may not like if your tank is enclosed causing a "caustic cloud" at the top when you start heating...
Yea I need to spend some time and look in to all of this. I'm only planning to use a very low concentration level. What do you work at yourself?

Currently a systems engineer in the automotive industry, maufacturing of sensors (Pressure, level, etc). Previously 7 years in the dairy industry, working with caustic in CIP (clean in place) systems.

Currently a systems engineer in the automotive industry, maufacturing of sensors (Pressure, level, etc). Previously 7 years in the dairy industry, working with caustic in CIP (clean in place) systems.
Very good, this course should be not bother to you so :)

Just another possibility on the programming cable...

Which ML1500 processor do you have?

1764-LSP - RS-232 8-pin port on base unit only

Or...

1764-LSP - RS-232 9-pin port on left side + the above

If you have an LRP processor then you use a 1747-CP3 cable. This is a null modem cable, so if you happened to already have one you would be good to go.

Either way, it's always good to have a 1761-CBL-PM02 knocking around.

Or...

1764-LSP - RS-232 9-pin port on left side + the above

If you have an LRP processor then you use a 1747-CP3 cable. This is a null modem cable, so if you happened to already have one you would be good to go.

Hi George, Its 1764-28BXB, it requires the 9pin Din to the 8 pin mini din. I should hopefully be able to get one sorted next week.

Geospark said:

Or...

1764-LRP - RS-232 9-pin port on left side + the above

Sorry, slight typo error on the above!

Padraic,

You're quoting the base unit catalog number. One or the other of the above catalog number processors are plugged into that base. If you are not seeing a 9-pin port on the left side then you have a 1764-LSP processor and will need the 1761-CBL-PM02.

One more small detail. The 8-pin port is not an isolated port whereas the 9-pin is, if you have that model. You are advised to use an isolating device between an un-isolated port and your PC, but many don't bother, I'm sure. A typical isolating interface is the 1761-NET-AIC+.

G.

Sorry, slight typo error on the above!

Padraic,

You're quoting the base unit catalog number. One or the other of the above catalog number processors are plugged into that base. If you are not seeing a 9-pin port on the left side then you have a 1764-LSP processor and will need the 1761-CBL-PM02.

One more small detail. The 8-pin port is not an isolated port whereas the 9-pin is, if you have that model. You are advised to use an isolating device between an un-isolated port and your PC, but many don't bother, I'm sure. A typical isolating interface is the 1761-NET-AIC+.

G.
Hi George, ah I see what you mean when it comes to different part numbers for the base unit and the controller. Mine doesn't have the isolated RS232 comms port, so my controller is a 1764-LSP.
Is it recommended to have an isolated connection? Is the idea to prevent damage to the controller?
If I use a 1761-NET-AIC+, will I need a 9 pin to 9 pin?

Nice to see another fellow Paddy about the place. There's not enough of us here at all....

Oh No!!! not another one :eek:

Padraic said:
Is it recommended to have an isolated connection? Is the idea to prevent damage to the controller?
If I use a 1761-NET-AIC+, will I need a 9 pin to 9 pin?

Here is the manual on the AIC+
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um004_-en-p.pdf

If you are using the 1500 you will need the full version of RSLogix and it's not cheap... you may want to sell your 1500 and buy a 1100 or 1000 unless someone else is paying the bill, you can buy a 1100 with Ethernet port then you may not need the AIC+

Mickey said:

Thanks for the plug Mickey