Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum

Oh No!!! not another one :eek:

Here is the manual on the AIC+
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um004_-en-p.pdf

If you are using the 1500 you will need the full version of RSLogix and it's not cheap... you may want to sell your 1500 and buy a 1100 or 1000 unless someone else is paying the bill, you can buy a 1100 with Ethernet port then you may not need the AIC+

Thanks for the plug Mickey
Yea another one!!!
Thanks for the advice re the software, I have the use of a 1100 but it has limited analog inputs, so I would have to but an analog card for the 1100 which I presume is not cheap either. I'm on a tight budget!!!

Padraic said:
...A friend at work is sorting me out with the suitable software, so I should have that by next week...

I had assumed this to mean you'll have RSLinx Classic Lite & RSLogix 500 Micro Starter at the very least. What are they hooking you up with? If it happens to be RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite, then that's only good for the ML1000 & ML1100.

Don't sweat it too much on whether to use a 1761-NET-AIC+ interface or not while just connecting to your PC. Yes, it is to protect the controller. If you were connecting this controller onto a network, for instance, you should use one. I'm just trying to educate you on the do's & don't and typical devices involved as you're only starting out. I promise I won't overload you too quickly!

G.

On the level transmitter - look up bubble tubes. The concept is basically that you run an air line into the bottom of your tank and give it a slow flow of compressed air - just enough to blow a bubble every second or so. Then monitor the compressed air pressure. The resulting pressure is identical to what you would get sticking a pressure sensor on the tank itself, but then you're not exposing anything to caustic except a piece of pipe.

There are a couple of tricks to make it work right, so read up a bit, but I've seen it and set one up personally on a couple of caustic tanks to great effect :)

I had assumed this to mean you'll have RSLinx Classic Lite & RSLogix 500 Micro Starter at the very least. What are they hooking you up with? If it happens to be RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite, then that's only good for the ML1000 & ML1100.

Don't sweat it too much on whether to use a 1761-NET-AIC+ interface or not while just connecting to your PC. Yes, it is to protect the controller. If you were connecting this controller onto a network, for instance, you should use one. I'm just trying to educate you on the do's & don't and typical devices involved as you're only starting out. I promise I won't overload you too quickly!

G.
Hi George, that's why I'm here to learn. As you can Imagin I'm a tight budget so the less hardware I have to buy the better.

the_msp said:
Car fuel tanks have a float attached to an arm which wipes over a resitive strip. You will need to check the analog input manual to see if it can take a resistive input, it may be only 4-20mA or 0-10v in which case it may still be possible but you will have a bit more work to do.

Also, just to verify the above query...

The 1769-IF4 input module converts and digitally stores analog data (not resistive) for retrieval by controllers, such as the MicroLogix 1500. The module supports connections from any combination of up to four voltage or current analog sensors. The high-impedance input channels can be wired as either single-ended or differential inputs.

The 1769-IF4 input module provides the following input types and ranges:

Normal Module Range | Full Module Range

Voltage
±10V dc----------------| ± 10.5V dc
1 to 5V dc--------------| 0.5 - 5.25V dc
0 to 5V dc--------------| -0.5 - +5.25V dc
0 to 10V dc-------------| -0.5 - +10.5V dc

Current
0 to 20 mA-------------| 0 - 21 mA
4 to 20 mA-------------| 3.2 - 21 mA

So, if you were to use a PT100, you would need a 4-20mA transmitter or the like.

This is a neat little in-line one from ifm - TP3237

I was also thinking ultrasonic for the level sensor?

The likes of FLOWLINE do level transmitters specifically for use with Sodium Hydroxide - EchoSonic II

You're talking big bucks for this "level" of level sensing though, probably around €500. If your budget is very tight and your concentration is not too high, you'll probably get away with something cheaper?

G.

Also, just to verify the above query...

The 1769-IF4 input module converts and digitally stores analog data (not resistive) for retrieval by controllers, such as the MicroLogix 1500. The module supports connections from any combination of up to four voltage or current analog sensors. The high-impedance input channels can be wired as either single-ended or differential inputs.

The 1769-IF4 input module provides the following input types and ranges:

Normal Module Range | Full Module Range

Voltage
±10V dc----------------| ± 10.5V dc
1 to 5V dc--------------| 0.5 - 5.25V dc
0 to 5V dc--------------| -0.5 - +5.25V dc
0 to 10V dc-------------| -0.5 - +10.5V dc

Current
0 to 20 mA-------------| 0 - 21 mA
4 to 20 mA-------------| 3.2 - 21 mA

So, if you were to use a PT100, you would need a 4-20mA transmitter or the like.

This is a neat little in-line one from ifm - TP3237

I was also thinking ultrasonic for the level sensor?

The likes of FLOWLINE do level transmitters specifically for use with Sodium Hydroxide - EchoSonic II

You're talking big bucks for this "level" of level sensing though, probably around €500. If your budget is very tight and your concentration is not too high, you'll probably get away with something cheaper?

G.
Hi George, I have a foxboro unit sourced with the temp sensor, that should give me the voltage or current I need.
I need to spend time researching the best option for measuring the tank level. Sorry for the short reply, I'm on night shift and I only have use of my phone for web browsing.

I'm now able to go online to my controller

Hi all, I have sourced a cable and I'm able to get on line to the controller. At this stage I'm wondering if you guys can advise me as to the best approach to writing the ladder logic and laying out the project and subroutines in a professional manner.
I also have been advised to check that my controller can communicate with factory talk over my serial connection. is there a simple way to test this before I proceed any further?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic

I also have been advised to check that my controller can communicate with factory talk over my serial connection.
Why would you need Factory Talk? Do you plan to install a HMI operator interface of some type?

Many of those will use some communications protocol such as Data Highway DH485, DH+, Ethernet. Those may require you to upgrade to a different (more expensive) version of RSLinx. You know how it goes - the more bells and whistles you add, the more it costs.

I think that Factory Talk View requires the RSLinx Gateway version. Also check the price of Factory Talk View. Sit down before you do, hearing that price is not for the faint of heart.