HMI software feature survey...

#1 One that does not crash several time a day.
#2 One that does not crash several time a day.
#3 One that does not crash several time a day with the features my customer wants.

Wow. I certainly hope this rant isn't driven by experience. If you have HMI's that crash several times a day, than you need a different HMI. And likely programmer too.

I'm personally partial to Weintek (aka Maple Systems, KEP).
FactoryTalk is not worth the money, and neither are PanelViews.

The Weintek software allows for some VB code if needed, which is a nice feature I've used a few times.

C-more has been pretty alright too.

I run AdvancedHMI in our lab to interface with our calibration standards, log data, set up automatic testing schedules, and print certificates. I have to say I'm very happy with it and it doesn't cost a penny. I've started implementing it into HMI tablets for some customers as well, and I haven't had any negative feedback

Wow. I certainly hope this rant isn't driven by experience. If you have HMI's that crash several times a day, than you need a different HMI. And likely programmer too.

Unfortunately it is. Mostly from software like RSSpew, Blunderware System Splatform (also In(appropriately)touched Widowmaker) and god help me i-(un)Fix (also known to many as i-F@#$%ed). Fix had problems with drivers back in 1989 and they still do!

Been using these and many others for 30 years. The more complicated they get, the worse they crash.

Had a TCP terminal once (1992) where you had to develop on the terminal. Make 1 maybe 2 changes if you were feeling lucky, upload the entire thing (serial port 20 minutes) make another 1 or 2 and it would crash the whole terminal. I seriously thought at 3am once, how much trouble would I really get into if I took this thing outside and ran it over one time...or maybe 50. Took a copy of the user manual to the shooting range once and put 30 9mm rounds through it. Man did that feel great. Hung it in my office. Next time the TCP rep came by I made sure he saw it. He never came back.

But I will say these day the RSx has gotten leaps and bounds better then it was 10 years ago. But it still does crash. But at least when it does, it doesn't take the whole computer with it anymore. That's another rant....Jack.

Here we go - I really like Omron CX-Designer for screens - very powerful and you can do almost anything you want with a bit of thought. It is quite easy to use but when you get into the more powerful things it is more complicated. Schneider is not good in my view but they are all quirky.
With respect to SCADA software all I have used have good and bad things about them. For example Citect Process Analyst is brilliant but the fact that there are so many databases to work with is a PITA. FIX 32 (been a while) has a really good Excel type setup where one can see all tags and attached alarms and trends in a spreadsheet - click on right mouse button and there is a one shot update of all values - hold down left mouse button and all values are continuously updated - in valuable.
These are just 2 examples and too busy to give you more. Neither of these have crashed for me neither does Omron CX-Designer.
Generally Citect with Omron FINS and FIX with GE - have had no problems with either driver. I do not like OPC and avoid it at all costs - properly developed and tested direct drivers are the best way to go.