HMI Suggestion with USB flash support

nwboson

Looking for suggestion of HMI that will support redundant logging.

What I mean by redundant logging: I'd like the HMI to log data from the PLC's (two models - GE 9030 and AB ML 1100/1400, both Ethernet) into a removable CF or SD card. If an operator then plugs in a USB flash card, I'd like to prompt the operator to select the date range of previously logged data, then squirt a csv file out onto their USB flash card. So its redundant in the respect that I want a removable flash card in the HMI plus an operator-installed USB flash for the take-away logged data.

I would also like the HMI to have an RS-232 port that could print logged data directly to a tractor feed or thermal printer in real time.

Size doesn't matter :unsure: - the smaller the HMI the better. I just need the HMI so the operator can select the date range to be written to the USB flash.

I've been a long-time user of the Red Lion Operator Interfaces but they don't have the USB host port. Otherwise the RL would be perfect.

I looked at the Maple 5070TH and it looks like it may do the trick. No experience. I'm real concerned about their scripting language especially since they just call it 'macros'. I love the Red Lion scripting since it seems like I can always get it to do anything I can dream up and I sure would be disappointed to take a step backwards.

I figure I'll need fairly robust scripting to select the date range and build up the csv data list...

Last edited:
The OEM model is MT8070iH by Weintek. This is an excellent unit.
Also, KEP MMI8070H. All vendors have great support. KEP is my first choice. All unit are exactly the same. Software is free from Weintek, and that's where I go for the latest version. Go to all of them for a combination of FAQ's.

Weintek/Maple/KEP has USB1.1

Thanks for the suggestion. So I looked at the OEM Weintek and realized the USB host port is 1.1. That applies to the Weintek/Maple Systems/KEP. Bummer - that's WAY too slow to upload CSV files onto a USB flash card.

So I noticed there is a Weintek MT8104XH. But the price is pretty high (over $1000 for a 10" display) - and I just don't need a display that large to simply prompt someone for the range of log dates to write to their USB flash card.

It sure is nice to know that all these HMIs come from the same manufacturer - thanks again for that background.

Check Feature tab here.
"The flexibility of USB interface enriches the functionality of MT6000/ MT8000. MT6000/ MT8000 is equipped with USB 2.0 interfaces which are not only for project download/upload and data storage but also for connection to printer, bar code reader, mouse and a variety of USB devices."

Keith, those look a lot like the Red Lion Kadets (only bigger!). Is the free software from Weintek able to program the units from KEP? Is that what you meant?

Weintek software will program KEP and Maple. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the label/model number.
Don't know about Red Lion.
Another source for KEP is ESI.
Brian from KEP has the best online support, as well as email/phone.
Frequently, I'll buy the KEP for quick delivery and support.

The host USB host port appears to be USB 1.1

Keith, I sure appreciate your info.

However I think it looks like the USB host port for all those brands is consistently spec'd across brands as USB 1.1. There does appear to be some marketing literature that takes the liberty of calling it USB 2.0(like you quoted) - I'm suspicious of the marketing claims.:rolleyes:

From KEP's web page: "The MT8070H features include a USB 1.1 host, a mini-USB 2.0 high speed device and SD card slot."

From Weintek:
SD Card Slot:Yes
USB Host:USB 1.1 x 1
USB Client:USB 2.0 x 1
Ethernet Port:10/100 Base-T

Maple Systems HMI5070TH: "USB Host, USB 2.0 client"

ESI:
• 1 USB 1.1 host
• 1 USB 2.0 high speed device

So I'm going to take a (wild) guess here about the quote you found that someone in the marketing department got a little too aggressive in their sales hoopla, but the engineering folks are pretty clear that the host port (the one that connects to printers, external flash) is USB 1.1

Check with tech support. Don't trust old datasheets. Even if it's accurate, they may be able to do a custom. 400 Mhz processor is probably the bottleneck. They are possibly working on other 500 Mhz models.
Don't give up.

I thought that the new Red Lion HMI like the G308A230 did support USB host

The 308A210 & 230 both support USB host

Last edited:
You could look at proface, most screens have Compact Flash and USB. we quite often use the compact flash as a backup and the USB for trending, USB connector(s) is on the back but could be extendedto the front of a panel

http://www.proface.eu/

Chris

I can't see how using USB 1.1 to transfer files to a memory stick is going to be that slow.

CSV files are usually not that gigantic.

Aren't we talking about the difference between a few seconds, and a few more seconds?

You guys are GREAT! Special thanks to Jeff Kiper for pointing out the the Red Lion G308A has USB2.0 host ports. I know the RL can do the job with its great scripting so now I'm off and running. I'll look closer at the Horner and Proface too.

I did send an email to the marketing folks at KEP on the Weintek knockoff. They responded that it is USB 2.0, then when I asked a second time, fessed up that it was really USB 1.1. OMG! He justified the response by saying 1.1 is pretty good. You gotta love the sales types - which is why I went to plcs.net for the inside scoop.

The problem is that if you really are logging gigabytes of data, xferring to a flash card at a measly 12 mbits/sec (vs 480) is quite noticeable.

Thanks again to all who replied.

and i'm left wondering if you can still buy "tractor-feed" paper ?

i haven't seen it for many years, or indeed a tractor-feed printer.....

I see the tractor feeds at almost each location I go to, sorry to say.
And piles and piles of paper. Epson Stylus 3000 and others still have tractor (continuous fold) accessories. Its pretty much a standard in marine 'bell logs'.

So, daba, I envy that you get to live in the modern world. I'm still hoping for indoor plumbing (well, PLC-controlled, of course)