PLC and HMI suggestion

Correct.
Only the developer version allows online edits. I think its about 400/500 bucks.
There are other features as well with developer vs standard.

I have used CCW Developer. Online editing is WAY TOO SLOW! Report generating for printing hard copies of programs is almost non-existant as it can print but truncates all of the tag names so it is near impossible to tell which variable you are looking at.

Have used Unitronics V120 for a tachometer application. Worked great for something like that, but wouldn't recommend them for more complicated projects.

Have also used AD Click. Software feels the same as the $400 version used for the DL105, 105, 250 etc. Easy to program and get good program reports. Not sure on reliability.

HMI's I would recommend EZ Automation EZ3 series. A new 7" wide version has been released with 2 USB ports, ethernet and serial. Now it can communicate with 2 protocols at the same time (i.e. Ethernet I/P and AB, Automation Direct, Mitsubishi, Omron, Siemens, etc on serial) and can bridge the 2 PLC's All for $399 list and $99 programming software - Made in the USA! I have used EZ for years with no problems.

So my recommendation for cheap and probably reliable - AD Click and EZ Automation EZ3 HMI.

I used the Micro800 when they first came out and hated it with a passion!
I am using one again and wow have they improved it. User defined type and an Ethernet port. And the software has only crashed once.
We needed a lot of analog points so we used the Spectrum expansion modules.

Wonderware does not have a driver but we asked here and found out about the Top Server that allows you to read the user defined types.

But if you use it try to keep your data consolidated as the Ethernet port through-put is not very good.

The Micro800 supports ST and FBD, including user defined function blocks. They are very "European/Japanese" style, so some people don't like them. I definitely prefer them to a Click.
It is possible to get a CompactLogix for around a grand street price. People seem to forget you can get Rockwell equipment inexpensively.