Hot rail length measure by digital camera image analysing

Hello!
I want to write PC-software for measure length of hot rail after finishing mill via analysing image made by digital camera. Could you please advice me where can I find any information about it?
Thanks.
Best regards, Oleksandr.

You want to write your own program?

If not, take a look at LabView, they got a add on called vision that can do a lot..

a camera is possible, however the resolution is bad.
better a sensor to trigger a psd photo sensing keyence resolution can be 1micro.

Hello!
Thank you very much for your interest in my problem.
Yes, I planed to write my own code, maybe in Visual Studio or somewhere else. I want to use an ordinary USB web camera which will be installed above operator's control room. When rail billet goes out from mill it crosses the beam of laser sensor and this gives command to camera for making shot. After that the application analyses the image and automatically calculates the length of billet (the range of possible billet's length is approx. 50-80 meters). With the next outgoing billet the process repeats once again.
I want to try standard USB camera because it's less expensive than any other solution including PSD. And I don't need very high resolution to capture hot billet (bright red colour) on a dark background.

LABView maybe will suit me. Do you know does LABView work with standard USB web-cameras?

Best regards, Oleksandr.