How do I run a simulation on SLC 5/04 w/o faulting the processor

not4u2c

I'm upgrading an HMI and would like see plc data being communicated through tags for testing purposes. I have set up a SLC 5/04 test station with a processor and a couple of modules, I would like to be able to download the existing program and go into data table and manually manipulate the numbers. My test station doesn't exactly match what is out on the line, so the processor faults because it does not see the other modules. Is there an easy way around this? On a PLC 5, all I need is just the processor, it won't fault if it doesn't see the racks and/or modules that are programmed. Thanks!

You have to modify the program so that it uses data tables in stead of real i/o addresses.
Set aside two dedicated datatables for i and o, and do a search-and-replace en masse.
Then change the hardware so that it matches your simulation hardware.

By the way, this is actually quite smart, because you can do online program changes in a real CPU. Something you cannot do with RSLogix Emulate 500.

If you are really smart, then you make a simulation program that simulates how the inputs change depending on what the outputs do. You can then sit back and observe how your program and HMI work as if it was for real.

With a SLC, if your modules don't match your program, it will fault unless you inhibit them.

Go to the Processor Status folder in the Project tree, then find the I/O tab (farthest to the right). Change the slot enable bits in words S:11 and S:12 to zeroes and you should be good to go.

Don't forget to change them back if you end up saving changes to the program!

Paul

As long as the rack size is the same, it will work. I don't think there is any trick to get around the rack size...Also, if there are M0/M1 refrences to disabled slots, you will get a minor fault, but you can unlatch the minor fault bit at the end of scan to avoid that fault for testing purposes. (OTU S:5/4)

Paul

You have to modify the program so that it uses data tables in stead of real i/o addresses.
Set aside two dedicated datatables for i and o, and do a search-and-replace en masse.
Then change the hardware so that it matches your simulation hardware.

By the way, this is actually quite smart, because you can do online program changes in a real CPU. Something you cannot do with RSLogix Emulate 500.

If you are really smart, then you make a simulation program that simulates how the inputs change depending on what the outputs do. You can then sit back and observe how your program and HMI work as if it was for real.

Some people put a huge green "simulation mode active" button on the home page of their touchscreen that disables and enables the relevant bits. This prevents the surprisingly common problem of going to site and wondering why you can't see your IO despite the lights being on ;)

Some people put a huge green "simulation mode active" button on the home page of their touchscreen that disables and enables the relevant bits. This prevents the surprisingly common problem of going to site and wondering why you can't see your IO despite the lights being on ;)
Oh yes. Good point. What I do is to reset simulation modes on 1st scan.