How do you release a wire in these terminals?

Aren't they spring loaded contacts?
Insert a flat blade screwdriver to the "square" looking opening and push down?
Phoenix PIT series, Wago, others use the same machanism. Cage Clamp I guess would be the right term for it.

Last edited:
If you insert the blade you may have to force it on one side, not sure what to tell you, maybe the open the clamp towards the left r the right based on their orientation, so forcing the blade to the left or right may do it.

I ran across some a few weeks ago that required inserting a screwdriver and then moving the screwdriver left and right to open and close the terminal. It gently clicks into position when fully closed. I don't know the brand. It was part of an OEM gas valve train skid.

I think you have some good suggestions here. I was working on a machine a while back and had to take a small terminal block screwdriver, slide it into the slot on one side, then pry it open to get wires in and out. No clue what brand these were. The only ones I like are Phoenix, the rest can go to the junk yard. I always use screw terminals unless I have Phoenix devices.

These look like insulation displacement connections. Like the type where you don't have to strip the wire, you just push the wire in and it cuts the insulation as you push the wire down. you would have to pull the wire forward to remove it.

i am looking at the right side of the terminal block.
if you look closely at the hole for the screw driver, you will see a small hole to the left closest to the center of the terminal. i would insert the screw driver there and push in.
that should release the wire.
james

The rectangular slot directly above the wire is where your tool goes. Center hole is for jumpers. And, looks like they are those pesky screw in jumpers. I feel for ya!

Everybody tries to build a better mouse trap...

I do not like these they are fine on first installation, however, can easily be damaged if the flat blade screwdriver is twisted too far, after a few releases they tend to become loose. They are quick for installation but not ideal for repeated disconnection, I prefer the screw terminals every time.

I knew that the terminals above were Entrelec/ABB so I did some digging. Those are 'ADO System® IDC technology' terminals and are IDC as someone suggested. There is a video on youtube on how to connect and disconnect, you do need a tooly thingy to connect and disconnect, but I reckon you could bodge something up with a bit of steel wire to do the disconnect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYfH_6MiIA

I knew that the terminals above were Entrelec/ABB so I did some digging. Those are 'ADO System® IDC technology' terminals and are IDC as someone suggested. There is a video on youtube on how to connect and disconnect, you do need a tooly thingy to connect and disconnect, but I reckon you could bodge something up with a bit of steel wire to do the disconnect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYfH_6MiIA

Thanks. That looks like it. I’ll be on site today. Maybe they left one of those fancy tools in the bottom of the cabinet.