how Micrologix 1100 Ethernet communication with controllogix5563 ?

Hi everyone,
I am currently trying to sending message between micro logix 1100 and control logix 5563. I had set the different ip address for each of the device. my question is how does two devices knows each other? how do i send or received a message? and how the msg instruction setup would be? thank you very much guys.

If you are using a MSG instruction you specify what tag the instruction should read or write to in the other PLC. You don't need to set up one in both PLCs only one.

Best regards,

Michal_dk

I find it easier to always do the messaging in the controllogix if I am doing SLC/Micrologix <-> Compactlogix/Controllogix messaging. Be careful whenever you do a messaged WRITE. There is nothing in either PLC to prevent you from writing over the wrong data table if you typed the wrong data table in your message.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum !

As described by my colleagues, you can place a Message (MSG) instruction in either the MicroLogix 1100 or the ControlLogix controller.

The [F1] HELP feature in RSLogix 500 and 5000 will give you details on the MSG instruction. Both platform Instruction Set References (1747-RM001 and 1756-RM003) are also downloadable at no charge from the Rockwell Automation Literature website.

In addition, there are multiple RA Knowledgebase documents describing how to combine the MicroLogix and ControlLogix addressing methods when using MSG instructions. Using the keywords "MicroLogix 1100 MSG ControlLogix" brings up the excellent Knowledgebase Article ID # 36338, "How to setup a Message from a MicroLogix 1100 to a ControlLogix", which is filled with screenshots and example code.

I couldn't get access to the article. it appear to be that i don't have a tech support contract with them. how do i get a tech support contract? could you guys repost that article here?

also, in the message configuration in rslogix 5000 and under communication tab. I could find the right path for it? Do i have to add new module(micrologix 1100) under i/o configuration? I had tried but couldn't find the right module for it. I had been trying to figure this out for days... thank you for all the support guys. I am very appreciated.

Re: Knowledgebase

Rockwell Automation has a technical support subscription service called TechConnect. You can purchase various levels of TechConnect support via your Rockwell Automation distributor.

Because the articles on their Knowledgebase are copyrighted by Rockwell Automation, and because many of us pay that annual fee to Rockwell for access to the Knowledgebase, PLCTalk.net policy is to not republish those documents.

Re: CIP Path

You should not attempt to put the MicroLogix 1100 into the I/O tree of the ControlLogix. The MicroLogix 1100 does not support cyclic I/O connections and the ControlLogix will be waste connection resources attempting to create one if you try to put the MicroLogix 1100 into the I/O tree.

Instead, you create the CIP Path manually, following the descriptions in the online Help for the MSG instruction.

I've explained this many times before but I'll re-explain it briefly here:

CIP Paths are composed of pairs of values: one Port number, and one Address number.

The most important Port numbers are Port 1 (the ControlLogix backplane or CompactLogix virtual backplane) and Port 2 (the network port of any module).

Addresses can be IP addresses, Slot numbers, or nodes on a ControlNet, DeviceNet, DH+, DH485, or DF1 network.

A good example of the CIP Path between a ControlLogix and a MicroLogix 1100 would be:

"1, 3, 2, 192.168.1.10"

In that example, the message goes from the CPU to the ControlLogix backplane (1), then to a 1756-ENBT module in Slot 3.

Then, the message goes out the Ethernet port (2) of the 1756-ENBT and over the IP network to the MicroLogix at IP address 192.168.1.10.

If you have a named 1756-ENBT in your I/O tree, the ENBT's name will be automatically substituted for the "1, 3", so the Path will read like "Scanner_ENBT, 2, 192.168.1.10".

Hi ken, Thank you for all your help. I had tried to follow you advice. under message configuration I got an error text: error processing connection related service. what is the error about? also, what message type was you used in sending a message to micrologix? was it cip data table write or cip generic? In term of hardware, Do i just use a crossover cable to connect both plcs?