How to backup rslogix 5 project with complet i/o config?

rdam86

Hi, recently did a project upload from a plc 5/40 with rslogix 5, but i/o config from all chasis was missing, only chasis #1 was visible.
How can i upload i/o configuration of all the chasis configured in the project?

Last edited:
The I/O Configuration in the PLC-5/RSLogix 5 is purely for documentation purposes. It is optional. It does not get uploaded or downloaded.

It can be used to setup and configure BTR/BTW for analog modules. But again, it is optional and cannot be uploaded from the controller.

The PLC-5 does not check it's I/O configuration to see if the actual modules are correct or missing.

OG

You have to investigate the switch settings in the ASB adapters and the chassis. That requires you power down the system and remove modules to be able to investigate th switch settings.
With the switch settings you can know the addressing scheme (½-slot, 1-slot, 2-slot), what rack no's are assigned, and the starting groups.
And with that you can figure out exactly what I/O addresses are assigned to the physical I/O. It will also be key to understand the BTR/BTW for analog I/O.

Sometimes you can sleuth out the I/O config by monitoring the program and looking at the I/O status and electrical drawings to avoid pulling cards to look at dip switches. It can be worth some time to sort this out depending on the cost and convenience of shutting things down.

Also, you can get RSLogix5 to populate some of the card level information for you. I don't have a good enough memory or a working example to provide much detail. Somewhere on the forum I think I posted some details with screenshots several years ago.

EDIT: This thread has some helpful info and yeah, it was over 13 years ago:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=20002&highlight=PLC5

Last edited:
The I/O Configuration in the PLC-5/RSLogix 5 is purely for documentation purposes. It is optional. It does not get uploaded or downloaded.

It can be used to setup and configure BTR/BTW for analog modules. But again, it is optional and cannot be uploaded from the controller.

The PLC-5 does not check it's I/O configuration to see if the actual modules are correct or missing.

OG

ok, i get it, i have to rewrite with field data.

thx guys