how to change IP address for used compactlogix L23E-QB1B

mike3475

Hello everyone, we want to change IP address for used compactlogix L23E-QB1B controller ,it assigned a IP address before, but this IP address is out of our factory floor ethernet range, we want to use this PLC for new project, this PLC controller has one ethernet port and one serial port.i asked IT give us a new IP address.we can reach studio5000 program in remote server through VPN.
Thanks!

This is a very ordinary feature of RSLinx Classic. Even the Lite version will do the job.

You either need to connect the controller to a computer running RSLinx Classic via the serial port, or Ethernet.

Then you browse to the controller's Ethernet daughtercard, right-click and select "Module Configuration".

Of course the computer running RSLinx needs to be configured with a NIC that is in the IP range of the current IP address in the controller.

hi, Ken:
I tried so many times for rslinx classic on my laptop , under tree of AB_ETHIP-1,Ethernet never shows L23E controller ethernet daughter card, i will try serial port later, since i have to order one serial cable.
Thanks!

I always tell folks to check their Windows networking, then use PING, then use a web browser.

If you can PING a controller and see its embedded Web page, only then should you move on to troubleshooting RSLinx.

You need to make sure that the IP address of the computer you are using has the same Subnet Mask as the PLC (I.E. the first three characters sets match).

Hi,Ken:
I used ping that ip address which assigned to L23E controller before, got no lost, i think this ip address now assigned to something else in our floor ethernet. you asked to use web browser, i don't know what that means.
Thanks!

Open any web browser (IE, edge, chrome, etc) and type the (current) IP of the PLC into the browser... it will launch a page with tabs with diagnostics etc

Personally, for controllers that do have an on-board serial port, that is my preferred option...

A hint about using web browsers:

Most modern web browsers, including Chrome, default to using secure hypertext (HTTPS). If you just type in "192.168.100.151", Chrome will (without filling in the address bar) try to connect to https://192.168.100.151.

So to check for the functionality of the onboard web server, explicitly type the prefix for ordinary hypertext, e.g. "http://192.168.100.151".

This is a good test for connectivity, because most firewalls allow HTTP through by default.

But it's not infallible.

I also recommend trying the "Ethernet Devices" driver, which requires you to enter the IP address of the controllers you want to connect to by hand.

It's not as convenient as the "EtherNet/IP" driver, but it works when VPN or firewall settings prevent the broadcast "List Identity" command from working.

I just tried to browser a lot our PLCs IP address at web browser, that is nice.It is good to know that.
I tried to browser L23E-QB1B controller old IP address at web browser, nothing showed up.
after I connect my laptop and L23E controller by ethernet cable,
I tried to use "ethernet device" driver and enter the old IP address, I got xx.xx.xx.xx,Unrecognized device under the tree of AB_ETH-1,Ethernet .
I tried to use "Ethernet/IP" driver, I got nothing under the tree of AB_ETHIP-1,Ethernet .
I don't know what is the problem.
Thanks everyone's input.

When you connected directly via laptop, did you change your NIC (Network Interface Card) settings? If the PLC current address is e.g. 192.168.1.1, make your laptop NIC 192.168.1.2.

Do you have a serial cable and a serial port or USB->RS232 converter?