How to create a "global" text list in FTView SE Network

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to figure out how to create a list of strings, as in a multi-state indicator or string display, where a different string appears based upon the tag value. The catch is, this object will likely be used many times over. For this reason I'd like the text to be global so that if I need to add a state or modify the text on an existing state, I can change it in one place and every instance of that object will be effected.

I see at two purposes for such an application:
First is for displaying VFD error description rather than just a fault number.
Second is for displaying step description for common sequencers throughout the plant.

I'm still learning the ropes with FTView SE and I realize it's not necessarily a fan favorite. Back in the day, I'd create a multi-state indicator and be done with it. However, this doesn't seem to work as well in my situation because not all clients have the same screen resolution and when I've tried this in the past, some can see the whole text while others cannot.:mad:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Take a look at local message displays.

These show strings depending on the value of the tag assigned to them. The lost can be referenced wherever you like and if you modify the text list if affects all of displays referencing that list.

Ash

Thanks Ash. It appears that local messages would work nicely as multiple message files can be created. The only thing I'm not sure about is making the text fit for various size screens but I'll play around with that a bit when I get the opportunity.

I'd like to add a couple of caveats to using local messages:

1. Local messages don't permit using a value of 0 to trigger a message. Most of my displays have a default message when the tag value is 0.

Here's my workaround: Since all of my other tag values are >0, I use an expression instead of a tag address where the tag gets passed through if value >0 and a -1 gets passed through if value =0. My default message now has a trigger value of -1 and all is well once again.

2. Each and every message within the object has the same background/ foreground color. The animation color tab is grayed out, so you're unable to select a unique color scheme for each message like one could with a multi-state indicator. Not a deal breaker but a difference nonetheless.

Glad to hear youve got it running, just my thoughts on this:

1. Local messages don't permit using a value of 0 to trigger a message. Most of my displays have a default message when the tag value is 0.

Here's my workaround: Since all of my other tag values are >0, I use an expression instead of a tag address where the tag gets passed through if value >0 and a -1 gets passed through if value =0. My default message now has a trigger value of -1 and all is well once again.
You can do this or use an expression for the value of your message display adding 1 to the tag, e.g. MyTag + 1
This would mean 0 is 1, 1 is 2, etc...
I guess useful if you don't want to change the PLC code

2. Each and every message within the object has the same background/ foreground color. The animation color tab is grayed out, so you're unable to select a unique color scheme for each message like one could with a multi-state indicator. Not a deal breaker but a difference nonetheless.
Set the background to be transparent, border style to none. Then add a shape behind it & use animation for the colours on that.

Ash

I have used multi-state indicators where each state just displays a string from the PLC. Then change the PLC string for the needed data.