How to extend rack in Proficy Machine Edition

m.saimriaz

Hi,
I am using RX3i PAC System on proficy machine edition with 7 slot rack. The Problem is that the software doesn't allow to extend the rack or add more racks to that. Is there any way to add more racks using the same controller?

Well now I've 3 racks. I've created three targets in my program:
Target1: for PACSystems RX3i
Target2: for Versamax IO Rack 1
Target3: for Versamax IO Rack 2
I want to find out if I download my program to PLC then will these all three targets be downloaded? And do I have to do something for the communication between them
?

I want to find out if I download my program to PLC then will these all three targets be downloaded?
No. Each target is a separate entity.
And do I have to do something for the communication between them
Yes, and what you have to do depends on what network interface unit you are using in the VersaMax IO racks.

It's Genius Bus Communication that I'm using. Please tell me how can I establish communication between them.
Thank you so much Steve Bailey.

The communications between the PLC and the VersaMax IO racks will be established in the configuration of the Genius Bus Controller module in the PLC. Each rack must be set with a unique Genius Serial Bus Address (SBA) using the rotary switches on the Genius NIU. In the hardware configuration of the Genius Bus Controller you must set up the amount of inputs, analog inputs, outputs and analog outputs for each VersaMax rack based on the rack's SBA.
Note that VersaMax IO racks that only have discrete inputs and outputs are capable of self-configuring, meaning that you will not need to download to those targets. If the VersaMax IO drops contain analog modules, you will need to download the configuration. Also, I have never been able to download to a Genius NIU using a USB/serial converter. I have always had to do the download using a computer with a real serial port.
If this is a new installation I would advise against using Genius. It is obsolete technology. Use Profinet instead.

Last edited:
Steve,

Hope you are doing well.
Kindly elaborate *** In the hardware configuration of the Genius Bus Controller you must set up the amount of inputs, analog inputs, outputs and analog outputs for each VersaMax rack based on the rack's SBA.***

With ref: of some images / snapshots.

Thanks for your support.
Your swift response appreciated.

In the Proficy Machine Edition Navigator window, expand the entry for the Bus controller. You should see each of the Genius NIU modules as well as the Bus controller, arranged in order of their SBAs. Double click on each SBA to get details about the quantity of inputs, outputs, analog inputs and analog outputs.
That's assuming this is an existing system that you're trying to modify. If this a brand new system, I have to ask why are you using Genius? There are better options.

Actually we are expanding a system that already has the Genius Bus Communication. So we can't use any other option.
Attached are the images of Genius Bus Controller configuration screens. I'm confused about the lengths of IOs to write into the fields. Is it about the number of corresponding IOs added in the Versamax IO Racks?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByuZRX0pEtdXTDkzcnJnOEhCcWs
open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByuZRX0pEtdXMXpjVzBZazcxcHM
open

Length for discrete addresses is the total number of bits used by all of the modules in the rack. Each 16-point module uses 16 bits. Length for analog addresses is total number of words used by all of the modules. A four channel analog module uses four words.