How to go about an factory Ethernet network

stu

Hi guys I'm trying to get my boss to agree into install a engineering Ethernet network to all our machines we have 6 lines , a silo park , liquids panel , ect
What is the best way to go about this have a managed switch on each line to a central hub connect to a server ,?
I'm asking for some knowledge thanks stu

Put together a detailed list of all the Ethernet nodes for each line that you want to be part of your controls LAN. It would be useful to document all the existing IP addresses of the devices as they are now.

Ethernet I/O traffic and things like VFDs using Ethernet/IP for control need to be flagged as important for managing properly.

Agree with OkiePC, use QoS / traffic control to ensure the important things get priority. Use industrial rated Ethernet cable, don't cheap out with off-the-shelf office grade cable. I would put managed hubs on each line, each would simply tie in to your parent network. Or managed hub above the other 6 managed hubs.

Good luck with the project. It's everyone's dream to get everything connected up nicely.

I highly recommend strategically placing IDF ( intermediate distribution frame) cabinets near the equipment but in low-traffic areas. These are just 19" standing or wall mount racks that will hold your main managed switches and patch panels. These can be slowly added to different areas of your plant to build up the network. Maybe you start with 1-2 out on the plant floor and grow from there. Of course you would have a main switch hopefully near your automation servers (if you have them).

These are then connected as a ring, and you run Ethernet from the equipment locations to the IDF cabinets. This will minimize the need for managed switches at each location of equipment. Of course depending on the equipment needs, this will vary and you might need a switch at the equipment.

You can then manage VLANS however you want. IO Networking/SCADA/PLC-PLC/...etc.

Equipment can be powered off if needed but the network remains it's own entity. Which you hopefully keep powered up by dedicated power circuits and hopefully backed by UPS/Generator power depending on how critical the needs are.

We had a network that had been built up over the past 20 years, so first thing I had to do was try and map what we had - mixture of unmanaged switches, CAT5, media converters, fibre, old fat ethernet (powered up, polling, but not operating...), and then I had to go through all the devices connected :
PLCs, Programming PCs, spare ethernet ports, SCADA PCs, remote racks with no apparent owner.

So I built up a spreadsheet of each potential node, allocated a main managed switch to each node (8 in total) then planned the main fibre routes.
From each main node then decided how many devices had to be connected - identified as many as I could, but none of the CAT5 cables were numbered, so still many unknowns.

Once I got the big picture, got 2 vendors in to give us a robust network design, then went for Rockwell Stratix. We designed the cabinets, and power supplies and UPS to the cabinets...spent about £170k in total so far, and we are almost up and running.